Toddler go kart axle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikew

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
I need help converting a live axle to a single wheel drive for turn ability. Right now it has a narrowed 1 1/4 live axle with all race parts. I want to be able to leave it looking like a race kart. Is there a way to cut the axle in half and put it back together with a bearing of some sort. That way only the left wheel spins and the right spins freely.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150908_190407529.jpg
    IMG_20150908_190407529.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 10

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Theoretically I could see that working...

You would have to get 2 new bearing hanger sets, or pillow blocks and add then to each side of the portion you cut.

I can see a few potential problems, but nothing that would be catastrophic, just little things you would have to tinker with. Get some locking collars to keep the axle halves from sliding into each other.
 

Mikew

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
Ya that's what I was thinking but the issue would be if the axle wasn't hooked together somehow. Wouldnt the frame go weak. It would be real easy to bend one side of the frame. Meaning it would be hard to keep both wheels straight and flat on the ground if something happened. I was thinking machining a giant 6in long sleeve that could house 2 bearings to put the now 2 axles shafts together straight with each other, hence keeping it a straight axle kart. Am I over thinking this???
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Follow kiss (keep it simple silly*)

The axle should not be used to add strength or rigidity to the kart. The kart should be plenty strong enough on its own for you to not have to worry about it flexing overly and causing failure.

From what I understand those race kart frames are VERY robust in their construction. Don't worry about it.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
From what I understand those race kart frames are VERY robust in their construction. Don't worry about it.

Did you miss the fact that this particular frame has been highly modified? Actually, unless you've read Mikew's other thread, you probably wouldn't know...

Splitting the axle involves a lot of work & excess parts; the first question is how/where would you mount the two necessary central bearings?

Quite honestly, the easiest way I see around this issue is to make one wheel free spinning; the difficult part will be finding a bearing hub to fit the axle; do you know any machinists?
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
That didn't even dawn on me Fabro, I saw his other thread before, but it slipped my mind. Still I really don't think anyone should be relying on an axle to keep the rigidity of the kart. Yes it will help, but it shouldn't be relied on, in my opinion at least.

I had thought about a hub with bearing, but after seeing the axle size, and a quick search proved fruitless, dismissed that idea.

The simplist way would be to cut the axle honestly. A bar could be welded across, and directly above where the axle currently is. That would allow the frame to keep its rigidity, as well as provide a spot to weld in new bearing hangers for the splitting of the axle.

Also should be a fraction of the cost of having a hub machined lol.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
That didn't even dawn on me Fabro, I saw his other thread before, but it slipped my mind. Still I really don't think anyone should be relying on an axle to keep the rigidity of the kart. Yes it will help, but it shouldn't be relied on, in my opinion at least.

:iagree: Entirely but, we don't know how the frame has been modified...

I had thought about a hub with bearing, but after seeing the axle size, and a quick search proved fruitless, dismissed that idea.

The simplist way would be to cut the axle honestly. A bar could be welded across, and directly above where the axle currently is. That would allow the frame to keep its rigidity, as well as provide a spot to weld in new bearing hangers for the splitting of the axle.

...or (now, hear me out) weld a tube between the two existing rails behind the axle, then run two rails parallel & level to the existing rails, under the axle, on which to mount the two new bearing carriers...

Also should be a fraction of the cost of having a hub machined lol.

I wasn't referring to machining a hub, I was referring to machining the axle to fit an existing hub ;)
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
I wasn't referring to machining a hub, I was referring to machining the axle to fit an existing hub ;)

Ah, would make more sense lol, but still expensive. I was going to have the hex axle from the snowmobile engine machined down to a round 1" axle on just one end...was quoted $150...yaaaaa, no lol.

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

:iagree: Entirely but, we don't know how the frame has been modified...



...or (now, hear me out) weld a tube between the two existing rails behind the axle, then run two rails parallel & level to the existing rails, under the axle, on which to mount the two new bearing carriers...

True, we really don't know the extent of any mods, or if they were done right (no offense ment to the OP, but we've seen people cut a frame in half thrn just try to but weld it....)

That would also work quite well, and would give more of a surface to weld the bearing hangers onto.
 

Mikew

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
I used 1in Dom 1/4 wall for sleaves. My joints are not going to break. I would not put my daughter in it if it was unsafe.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

I used 1in Dom 1/4 wall for sleaves. My joints are not going to break. I would not put my daughter in it if it was unsafe.
 

XXXStevemanXXX

New member
Messages
60
Reaction score
5
Location
Astoria, Oregon
Dont waste your time cutting that perfect axle. In your other thread,someone mentioned that since you shortened your frame so much, your Ackermann Angle is way off on the spindles. If you correct that, it will turn on a dime even with a live axle. Your kart should jack a front tire when turning, and probably wont do that unless you restore the geometry to the spindles. I had a Margay kart that could drive in tight circles and it was a live axle. It just had lots of angle on the kingpins and perfect Ackermann angle.
 

DaveP

Daddy Gearhead BusDriver!
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Location
Lake Odessa, Michigan
DOH!!

you could do like the guy I bought my yerf-dog from,,,, he removed the key on the right wheel. So it just spun free,,,,, but he didn't know that now the axle and wheel were eating each other with every revolution. So I had to buy new wheel, axle and key. $80 bucks later and I'm back to having posi again.

Sorry this won't help you,,, but it might keep someone else from making the same mistake
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
:funnypost:
I used 1in Dom 1/4 wall for sleaves. My joints are not going to break. I would not put my daughter in it if it was unsafe.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

I used 1in Dom 1/4 wall for sleaves. My joints are not going to break. I would not put my daughter in it if it was unsafe.

That's what we all wanted to hear my friend. I'm glad that safety is not only your first concern, but also that you took the time to do the job right the first time.

Try restoring the Ackerman before you do anything with the axle. It may just take care of the problem. Being that the frame has been shortened though it may also not work, but it's relatively quick to try, and free to do, so always best to start with the quick free option lol.
 

Mikew

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
I will get the Ackerman straightend out. Thanks. I'm going too machine down a piece of 1 in round stock to fit inside the 1 1/4 hollow axle tight with a few c clips or a few set screws in the axle to hold it. On the other side of the round stock I will machine it down to 5/8 and tap the end for threads. Then I'm going to put a front 5/8 hub on it and put the wheel back on it. I will post pics in a few days. This will make it look like its a real deal live axle. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Thanks for all the replies
 

ML-TOYS

New member
Messages
2,908
Reaction score
19
Location
long island, new york
I will get the Ackerman straightend out. Thanks. I'm going too machine down a piece of 1 in round stock to fit inside the 1 1/4 hollow axle tight with a few c clips or a few set screws in the axle to hold it. On the other side of the round stock I will machine it down to 5/8 and tap the end for threads. Then I'm going to put a front 5/8 hub on it and put the wheel back on it. I will post pics in a few days. This will make it look like its a real deal live axle. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Thanks for all the replies

This is basically what i was about to suggest. :thumbsup:
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
I read the threads.. and frankly.. I even started a reply more than once and quit it

I DO NOT WANT to help!

And here is why -please forgive me, but I have to!-

That is the worst idea ever!!!!!!!!

building a petrol kart for a toddler...
not only ruining the eardrums by the engine noise, but also the lungs with exhaust fumes
from the engine that's what.. eight inches away from the children's head??!!
:horse:

Oh and no, an electric setup isn't any better...
the weak neck isn't able to support a helmet yet..
so with a helmet a sudden stop will break a childs neck, and without a helmet it's not a good idea either.

Yes it looks cute (for taking a photo!!) putting a toddler on a kart that's meant to go faster than walking speeds is putting a kid in danger.
And with that, I'm out again.

'sid

PS seems like I'm the only one who gives a shirt ...sad :(
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
While I do agree sid, its honestly not our call...

I guess though I would be getting scorned as well as my 5 year old will be riding with me on the kart I'm fixing for just that. Though ear plugs will be a must, and I'm also mulling over a heat shield for the exhaust, and to better deflect the fumes away...

In the end we can go on and on, but its the parents choice. I respect your input, and opinion, but thats just how it is...

The main thing I'm worrying about is helping to make sure its safe in the long haul.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Well this has been an interessting read.:lolgoku: Yes only you can and should raise your kids how you choose. Now :backtotopic:
I agree with whats his name Fix the steering ackerman, First.
Then if you even considered Chopping a perfectly good axle, Then do what the other guy said: Remove the axle key. You can just add grease between the wheel and axle, the old keyway may even act like a grease reservoir, and check it frequently. Yes this probably will damage the axle and wheel over time. but so what, if you considered the idea of chopping it up that would definitely destroy it. You say this is for a young child right, they grow so fast He will out grow it long before it wears out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top