To vent or not to vent crankcase

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
So what are thoughts? I was going to drill/tap governor hole for a plug, then thought why not a vent to atmosphere?

Already plan to vent valve cover and gas tank, so what's an extra pc of hose.

If so do I need a all baffle to redirect crank oil spray?🤔

I now I ask weird questions BUT since I couldn't find the answers searching here, the next folks will be able to 🤫

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I was going to do that but the brass nipples have a tapered thread so I just plugged it with a bolt. I solved the ventilation issue by drilling through the valve cover so there was no PCV valve to restrict. If you CAN get a brass nipple threaded on there I would 100% do it, I'm not a fan of the PCV things because they are restrictive so I would run a straight line to a breather.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Go with the valve cover vent. There is a lot of oil being whipped around in the crankcase by the crankshaft. It would end up sucking oil like mad.

BigWes

Reaction score
Consider venting it if you are going to be doing performance upgrades. If you are keeping it fairly docile then utilize your standard valve cover vent. Just remember any excessive pressures inside the crankcase generated by a hot engine will cause oil blowby if not vented.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
:pWes, I have decided to do it, partially for looks and benefits of zero pressure issues...and so I can mount a compression fitting and make a copper coil to run up to breather box...rubber hose isn't very 1930s :unsure:...

OPmini

moo
Reaction score

Snaker

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that a lean or tip over can have oil coming out like a drain plug.
Sometimes vent lines use some sort s curves of zigzags to keep liquids from doing a straight pour.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
When drilling a valve cover for a fitting be sure to drill where the exhaust valve plate is NOT. Folks who try to use the valve cover breather tube to run a pulse pump find it doesn't work right. Tap needs to be in the free air space of the cover.
Remember the little 6 oz. cans of tomato paste from the market? 3.5" tall, 2.2" diameter. If you're trying to relieve the case and look like the 1930's, paint one and mount it upright on a proper tap from the engine case with a tiny breather hole in the top.
Collected oil keeps dripping back in by gravity. Super retro, I've actually seen it on one of Norwood Bike and Mower's projects.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that a lean or tip over can have oil coming out like a drain plug.
Sometimes vent lines use some sort s curves of zigzags to keep liquids from doing a straight pour.
Yeah we always used 1 loop and a roll over valve (basically it has a ball bearing that moves to close line) as well as 1/4 turn ball valves in our offroad race trucks

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
When drilling a valve cover for a fitting be sure to drill where the exhaust valve plate is NOT. Folks who try to use the valve cover breather tube to run a pulse pump find it doesn't work right. Tap needs to be in the free air space of the cover.
Remember the little 6 oz. cans of tomato paste from the market? 3.5" tall, 2.2" diameter. If you're trying to relieve the case and look like the 1930's, paint one and mount it upright on a proper tap from the engine case with a tiny breather hole in the top.
Collected oil keeps dripping back in by gravity. Super retro, I've actually seen it on one of Norwood Bike and Mower's projects.
Great đź’ˇ

Snaker

Reaction score
Yeah we always used 1 loop and a roll over valve (basically it has a ball bearing that moves to close line) as well as 1/4 turn ball valves in our offroad race trucks
That's interesting. I had that sort of thing on fuel tank vents, never thought about it working with oil.

Only thing, with a tipped fuel vent, the valve would obviously shut off with gravity.
But if a running engine tipped, wouldn't the fact of it running it keep the valve from closing off?