To much POWER!

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
IMG_20210427_163754.jpgHere's my red springs from my 40 series. As you can see the one on the left is bent / streched, the middle one snapped, and the one on the right looks fine. Any idea what caused this or how to prevent this in the future?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok, now that I put my foot in my big mouth. I got a couple of questions. How many hours of runtime? How often do you take it apart and clean it? It looks like they were poorly made. Wrong steel or wrong heat treatment. Just a guess.
Maybe a bad batch. Since you have to get new springs anyway try a couple of different vendors. Get a couple of sets to keep spares on hand. Make sure nothing else is bent or damaged. I believe Comet recommends cleaning and lubing every 2 hours. After that I got nothing.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Ok, now that I put my foot in my big mouth. I got a couple of questions. How many hours of runtime? How often do you take it apart and clean it? It looks like they were poorly made. Wrong steel or wrong heat treatment. Just a guess.
Maybe a bad batch. Since you have to get new springs anyway try a couple of different vendors. Get a couple of sets to keep spares on hand. Make sure nothing else is bent or damaged. I believe Comet recommends cleaning and lubing every 2 hours. After that I got nothing.
Yeah, I had it for about 4 months, rode it every other day for about 30min-1hr 30min per ride. Serviced it about every 3 hours, and yeah looks like bad heat treatment. I called go power sports and they just told me to buy a new one and they don't know what could have gone wrong.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
to me that looks like a result not a cause tbh...
if the bell isn't properly seated the rollers can jump out of their tracks when accelerating hard enough
(that does include a sudden stop btw.. )
and the next time you try to floor it.. the dislodged rollers apply uneven forces..
two rollers get pushed closer together (the unharmed spring)
and the springs on the third are taking all the load and within just a few cycles of them moving up and down their ramps
bad comes to worse and one snaps eventually...
the bent spring is a direct result of the snapped spring IMHO...
the third roller now being not hold back properly .... and thus being able to move far more out...
it overstretched from the force.
Maybe the pin even does some harm moving freely inside the clutch case... can't tell for sure.
So yeah.. IMO that's either a sloppy installation at one point (not having the rollers seated correctly after cleaning)
or the bell not being firmly attached so they jumped out of their tracks at one point. - well at least one that is.

'sid