Tires tires tires!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryley

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy 2 front tires for my upcoming gokart overhaul. I also need to buy rims but i can make a hub adapter. So how much should i be paying for a setup like this because $75 a tire after shipping seems pretty high to me. I also need them shipped to Canada.

My second question is that are these tires going to be good enough for front tires on a 300cc 5 speed gokart?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryley I think you first need to tell us about the kart some more..
since as of now all we can provide you with is guesswork.

And you splitting every question to a single thread doesn't help us understand what you have in mind,
what you are working with and what goal you're hunting for.

weight, speed (in terms of distance per time interval) and whatnot are simply missing.
posting links to various parts and asking if those are good enough for your task
is NOT going to help as long as we don't know about the TASK ;)

from the other thread I know what kart you are working on, but who else might without looking your other posts up?
See? noone!

145/70-6 tyres are available around the world even in Canada (pretty standard ATV size really)
I suggest "Carlisle 5150021 Knobby ATV" (available at walmart.ca)
rims are also available nearly everywhere.
so no need for international shipping really.

if you search for the correct replacement part "14794 wheel assembly"
you might find a good source
(I cannot access seardirect for some reason, but they appear to have it for 36 US$)

'sid

PS a cheap chinese 300cc 5speed motorcycle engine will NOT ruin those wheels anytime soon,
a 250cc race bike engine might ruin them within a day.
I disagree with Jeff's "no" and say "sure" with a 12mm spindle that wheel should be fine if you make a correctly fitting adapter (6201 bearings.. don't forget them ;)).

Ryley

Reaction score
So apparently Walmart doesn't sell those tires online they just have it on the website for some reason. I did some more searching and i found a local place that sells gokart tires and wheels so i think ill buy them there. Canada doesn't seem to have stock of the tires and wheels I need for an affordable price.

Sid when you said that the 250cc race engine would ruin the tires, you are referring to a 250cc 2 stroke? Im not sure how much HP that 250cc 2 stroke engine would be, but my engine has about 20HP which is quite a bit for my gokart.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to make a point by an absurd claim ;)

yes, 250cc kart race engines are two stroke and deliver a crazy amount of power
roundabout 100 horses are not uncommon.

but it doesn't matter.. you can go slow with every engine in every kart on any wheels..
you can ruin a tyre in no time if it's heavy and/or you're going for a hard off road trip
with a 5horse engine as easily as with a high speed on race tracks.

The point is, you need to tell us what you want to achieve and then we can maybe tell if a wheel is up for the task or ot.
naming just the combustion volume of an engine is
about as relevant as naming the colour of your jacket.

a question like
"Would that tyre survive some careless off roading with a Manco black widow kart equipped with a 23hp 5speed bike enigne?"

the answer would be
"the wheel sould hold up as well as the 12mm spindles your kart's equipped with"
don't be too careless since 12mm isn't that much ..
so avoid jumps and ramming rocks with your wheels.

a question like "would that tyre survive a speed run on the local beach (top speed about 50mph)"
the answer would be "on wet sand.. they should if balanced; same speed on road might overheat the tyre though.."

etc.etc..
tell us WHAT it needs to survive so we actually CAN make an assumption ;)

Now..
with high impact you should worry more about your spindles than your wheels frankly
with high temp we're out of clue, better get a road licensed wheel with matching speed index.
with high speed your wheels must be balanced or they can quickly cause troubles.

but since you're essentially on wheel barrow wheels up front with a 12mm spindle,
you shouldn't hunt for any extreme anyways ;)

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.