tire / wheel advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I need to buy some new tires and probably rims for my kids' kart. Right now they have carlisle's 11x4 4 on the fronts. I have no idea if these are any good and I have my doubts on the wheels the rubber is on right now... I just don't know that they hold a good seal. So what I'm looking for is recommendations on what rubber to buy as well as wheels? It's only driven on pavement.

The younger one had a tree jump out at him last week so I'm also in need of a new spindle and tie rod end.

Manco model 415-511, Robin 5HP motor. I bought the kart about 3 weeks ago. First kart I've had my hands on since I was 10 or so and I have no idea about brands etc.

THANKS EVERYONE!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Can you post a pic so we can see what we're dealing with?

As long as the rims you buy fit the diameter (and length) of the front spindle, you're good. You could even move up to a very common size like 13x5-6.

Welcome to the forum!
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Sure I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning, too dark right now. Anything in particular you'll need detailed shots of? I'll definitely get the tires / wheels.
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
If the Carlisle's are anything less than completely shot put them up at a Vintage Kart site, people looking for them.
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
They're completely bald with with maybe a 1/32" of a knub on only the outsides of the tire and cracks and cuts all around it including cracks where the tread should be. :ack2:
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Here's the pic





 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I posted pics but it's waiting for mod approval I guess.

Anyhow, the reason I question the tires is this, I went to put a bearing into it because the kart shop I took it to said the bearing on the right side was bad. well ends up that neither front wheels have bearings in them at all. Just what looks like some nylon bushings with plastic outers that are press fit into the wheel. I tried removing one and replacing it with a bearing but try as I might the bearing was NOT going in.
 

Aladinbama

Just Learning
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Location
Pearland, Tx. USA
Seems that Summit Racing has a good price on Carlisle Turf Savers - $13.95 each. They even sell on Ebay - I know, but you can buy more than one on their Ebay site you pay shipping for just one - even if it's multiple sizes. (and shipping is just $4.95)
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Are the carlisle tires good? Will something else last longer? Slicks? These had a fair amount of tread on them when I bought the cart but MAN they wore out quick. My kids aren't exactly easy on them either (sharp high speed turns etc) but I didn't expect them to wear out quite that fast.
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
might be a problem with your steering making them wear out fast. Do the tires sometimes slide instead of making the kart turn?

EDIT - ....but it is a dead axle....
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
might be a problem with your steering making them wear out fast. Do the tires sometimes slide instead of making the kart turn?

EDIT - ....but it is a dead axle....

Not sure what you mean by dead axle other than not a drive axle.

I would have to say that the front end slips at higher speeds but I think that's to be expected sort of. The turning radius is really tight when slow but at higher speeds it sort of looks like it skids and the turning radius probably doubles (or more).

I likely had a steering problem. If improper toe in/out etc. will drastically effect the wear then that may be a likely culprit. I adjusted the tie rods to the stops and got it where I thought they were fairly straight. I couldn't make them toe in since the spindle on the passenger side was already beat up and now it's just mangled. I'm ordering a set of tires, spindle and an additional tie rod end. Gotta get some more riding in before it gets too cold!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Weird! It appeared fine to me!

Anyway- If I were you, I'g go get a pair of 13x5-6 on steel rims with either bronze bushings or bearings. They're quite common and easy to lay hands on.
 

UNNAMED

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I was looking for which tire to order and I came across these:

http://www.bmikarts.com/item/410350-TireRim-Assembly-262204-262205-or-262206-1085

But they kind of reminded me of the Harbor Freight tire. Opinions?

Toystory - I couldn't find a 13x5-6 with a rim included. Is that larger tire going to make the kart sit funny?

Also when the sites define a tire as 4.10x3.50 and then sell it on a 6" wheel, what size is this tire really?

Thanks for all the help, just trying to understand what I'm jumping into!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top