Tire Suggestions for my American Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
I just bought a nice American Express. It has 5" tires on the back and 4" on the front. I want to put slicks all around, 5" on the front and 6" on the rear. Not sure what sizes to get otherwise. Recently saw where GPS did an Am Ex 2.0 build and I like the tires they used. Any suggestions?

I like these but can't tell what size the wheels and tires are.

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I've looked over their stuff but don't remember seeing those before.

Do these rear tires look like 12x6x6?

I bought some 12x6x6's for the rear. Now I need some new wheels.

They look pretty cool but I wish they were a little wider.

Attachments

• IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

anickode

Reaction score
They'll look better inflated.

You really have to go to racing hubs, wheels, and tires to go any wider, and without the proper steering geopmetry like race karts have, huge fat slicks on the rear are a pain. They make the kart understeer terribly on pavement, particularly at lower speeds.

Race karts have very stiff frames and tons of caster so they basically lift the inside rear wheel off the ground and force the weight to the outside in turns. Even with 20+ degrees of caster, there is likely still too much frame flex in a yard kart for it to be effective. Plus the sprung spindles up front would negate most of the lift you gain from the caster.

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
Cool thanks. I'm gonna try to give this kart a more race type look but I do want it to handle good so I'll be fine with these tires. I agree, they will look better when on the wheels and inflated. Thanks for the response.

jandj

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind - while this isn't a vintage race kart, it shares some handling characteristics.
As was pointed out earlier, modern race karts lift the inside rear tire on cornering, older karts lifted the inside front.
Excessive grip on an older kart under cornering leads to bicycling, which is a technical term for "tossing you on your head".
Older karts were designed to run on hard tires and slide in the turns.

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. Definitely don't want to flip it. I'll keep that in mind. I think these Cheng Shin tires are pretty hard compared to some sticky race tires???? I have no experience with race tires. All my karts are yard karts or off-road.

anickode

Reaction score
Unless they're actually kart specific tires, they will be pretty hard rubber. Most likely intended for the front wheels of zero turn mowers or some such thing.

They should work pretty good for you.

jandj

Reaction score
Cheng Shin or Kenda tires in the width of the tires you already have are plenty hard enough
and will work.
I have a Manco Quicksilver (pretty much the same kart as your minus the front springs) with 4" Kenda slicks up front and 5" on the rear, handles fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.