Tire/Rim help. completely new to karting

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeanus

New member
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Completely brand new to Karting. Bought a chassis off of Craigslist and none of the tires or rims match which i dont really care about. Was looking around and finding out what rims and tires I want. However, none of the tire sizes seemed to match up to the rims so i was wondering what math or conversions do i need to do to find out if a tire will fit a particular rim?Also need the same help with finding innertubes

Heres the rims I want to use so if someone could tell me what will fit and how I would know that please let me know! Thanks.
Rear RIM:
http://www.bmikarts.com/5-Douglas-Polished-Aluminum-Wheel_p_1556.html
Front Rim:
http://www.bmikarts.com/5-Douglas-Polished-Aluminum-Front-Wheel-_p_1550.html
 
Last edited:

number9

New member
Messages
86
Reaction score
4
Location
KY
Those would need wheel hubs (bmi has them in a 4pk set for cheaper than individually). Also those wheels are usually ran tubeless, so no need for tubes.

You need to determine what kind and size tire you want to run - what tread, how tall and wide.

I went with 6" dia wheels on our karts, more tire choices it seems.
I also went with turf tires in the following sizes on the boys yard karts
Front 13x5-6 tire on 6x5 wheel
Rear 15x6-6 tire on 6x6 wheel

On my race kart (to be ridden with my boys, not raced), I went with
Front 13x5-6 tire on 6x5 wheel
Rear 13x6.5-6 tire on 6x6.5 wheel

Yard kart setup can be seen here, don't have pics posted of my kart yet
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31906

...
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,431
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Here's a link to a good racekart tire/rim fitment chart:http://www.russellkarting.com/range.htm

There's been serveral diferent 3-bolt patterns used on racekarts over the years. If your going to buy rims, you'll need to very acuratly mesure what bolt patern you need before ordering...
This link has good info to show you how to measure your bolt patern:
https://cometkartsales.com/skin/comet/images/photos/pattern.jpg

I agree with number9, I prefer 6" diameter rims too.

I don't like running innertubes unless absolutly nessesary, youll find that most all racekart tires & rims are designed to run tubeless :thumbsup:
 

xeanus

New member
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
This info seems to have helped a little..Im having trouble understanding the table that anderkart had a link to..but if im reading this right it seems like even though non of the tires i got with the kart match, then some of the RIMS might actually be the same size?If thats true i could just buy new tires and save the money on rims ?
 

xeanus

New member
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Tires: 11x5.5-5
Rim: 5inch diameter x 5 inch wide.
Will it fit? Realized that i have two rims with the tire size on them that i want. So all i need for the rear is tires. but i DO need one front rim.
 

Ryafor

New member
Messages
383
Reaction score
2
Location
Ontario, Canada
Tires: 11x5.5-5
Rim: 5inch diameter x 5 inch wide.
Will it fit?

Yes

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

On my race kart (to be ridden with my boys, not raced), I went with
Front 13x5-6 tire on 6x5 wheel
Rear 13x6.5-6 tire on 6x6.5 wheel

Yard kart setup can be seen here, don't have pics posted of my kart yet
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31906

...

What is you're gearing? I plan on the same size tires for front and rear of my race kart
 

number9

New member
Messages
86
Reaction score
4
Location
KY
Don't have my gearing or engine sorted yet. It came with a predator on it but I don't know what condition its in. While kart was a cobbled mess so I've been spending a lot of time making it right again. Still focused on the chassis, relocated nerf bars and welded new spuds on, still gotta strip and paint it all. Will probably start at 12/72 and see how that works.

...
 

Ryafor

New member
Messages
383
Reaction score
2
Location
Ontario, Canada
Will probably start at 12/72 and see how that works.

...

That's originally what I had planned aswell and even on a few pages saw that you could go 6.1 with a max of 13" tires but after talking to a few here they've suggested a 7.1 ratio because of the rear wheel diameter aND there not bring ebough low eND tor que wit those size tires. I already have a 72 tooth sprocket tho and a 10 tooth clutch is gonna be expensive for me being in Canada. I picked up a brand new 12 tooth clutch today tho I traded a kid for an Xbox game so we'll see how it works in the meantime. Maybe I won't need a 10 tooth. Having the 12 for now makes 1 less thing to buy for the time being at least. If it burns out oh well. I traded a $5 game for a $70 clutch. Do you have a build thread? Sounds like a simular setup as I have. Would be good to have notes to compare to. I've got a 208cc Champion engine I'm putting on our kart. Picked up some cheap 13x5x6 rims and tires today at princess auto. I only got them for the tires but the rims came with them and turns out I may actually be able to use them. Least till I get new rims. Even the tires I only planned on being temporary but $12 each for rim tube and tire seemed a decent price. Gotta put new bearings in 1 rim tho if I wanna use them. Possibly in both because I don't have much room for nits on the spindles
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
71
Location
White Settlement Texas
You know, I've never done a tooth count on my kart....but it's plenty fast for me....and anyone who's ridden it....it has 13" tires and is a two seater kart.....it only has a 5 hp engine.....

Time to do some counting.....
 

Ryafor

New member
Messages
383
Reaction score
2
Location
Ontario, Canada
You know, I've never done a tooth count on my kart....but it's plenty fast for me....and anyone who's ridden it....it has 13" tires and is a two seater kart.....it only has a 5 hp engine.....

Time to do some counting.....

That'd be great :thumbsup: number9 is probably just going by the same recommended 6:1 ratio I keep seeing everywhere. Gearing still confuses me. Especially when people start talking about jackshafts and torque converters etc. Especially those that wanna add 4-5 jackshafts powered by a hamster wheel and Im over here wondering how all these race karts have such small sprockets. Oh well. Once I have something on the road the goes when I push the gas and stops when I push the brakes I'll feel accomplished knowing that the boy and I put together. May look silly. Having a racing chassis with big ol yard works turf tire on it but you gotta start somewhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top