Tire questions

Cartinfun

Reaction score
I have a Yerf Dog I'm rebuilding and have to get a new live axle kit. My question is about tire size and if I should get the kit that comes with the wheels and tires or get a kit without wheels and tires and get different wheels and tires.

The kart came with 18x9.5-8 tires but on BMI the axle kit comes with 145/70-6. Google says that's only 13.75in diameter. That seems too short for my kart and won't that give me less ground clearance than 18s? I'm wanting to do offroading with it as well as street.

The kit with the wheels and tires looks cheaper than getting the kit without and then getting the wheels and tires separately.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Stay with 8" wheels and 18 " tall tires. Do you not have the original wheels ?
6" wheels are too short for off road use. You are right, it will reduce your ground clearance, as well as lower your top speed.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
Stay with 8" wheels and 18 " tall tires. Do you not have the original wheels ?
6" wheels are too short for off road use. You are right, it will reduce your ground clearance, as well as lower your top speed.
I couldn't get the wheels off the axle. I tried soaking them in PB Blaster and pressing them off with a bottle jack and chains, pounding them off with a sledge, electrolysis rust removal, a mechanic friend tried pressing them off with his press while heating it with his torch. They were rust welded on. So I cut the axle off because the bearings were shot as well.

Anyway, cool, thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about the top speed being affected, that's pretty important to the family.