Tips on Painting Go Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
I'm going to be painting my go kart soon and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips or useful information on painting go kart frames.
I'm also going to be painting the gas tank and engine cover, but I have a separate post where I got all the info I need about painting those parts, so anything commented on this thread should only be about the frame.

The process I already have planned is sanding the frame, taping up the parts of the frame I don't want painted, priming it with rust-oleum professional primer (spray can), and then painting it with rust-oleum yellow spray paint. I've already taken off parts that would be a nuisance while painting. I'll also be putting a trash bag over the engine when I'm painting the frame.

So yeah if there's any tips for painting the frame or any changes I should make to my current process please let me know.

Below are images of my go kart frame disassembled for painting and the paint and primer I'll be using:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure that your kart is super clean and free of any oil residue before you start painting. You can maybe give it a good soapy wash and then when it is dry wipe it down with some acetone to get the rest of the residue off. If you paint over an oily frame the paint is just going to come off.

Also, try and paint on a day with no wind, or paint inside the garage. There is nothing worse than a nicely painted wet frame that then gets grass and dust blown all over it

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
Save yourself a headache and just remove the engine. How would you paint the underside with the engine still mounted? Also disassemble the rest of the kart as much as possible.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Save yourself a headache and just remove the engine. How would you paint the underside with the engine still mounted? Also disassemble the rest of the kart as much as possible.

This would be my recommendation as well. They come out looking much better, but it's a little more work.

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
Just make sure that your kart is super clean and free of any oil residue before you start painting. You can maybe give it a good soapy wash and then when it is dry wipe it down with some acetone to get the rest of the residue off. If you paint over an oily frame the paint is just going to come off.

Also, try and paint on a day with no wind, or paint inside the garage. There is nothing worse than a nicely painted wet frame that then gets grass and dust blown all over it
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to wash it before I paint. And I've got an area that I'll be painting it in that will prevent it from getting any leaves or debris on it.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I had already been skeptical about leaving the engine on so with someone else saying it's not the best idea I'll see what I can do about getting it off. And I'll see what else I can get off of the kart that'd get in the way while painting.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I use Adhesion Promoter first on anything metal that needs paint. I agree with Jpenn, the kart should be stripped as much as possible for best results
I'll look into Adhesion Promoter. What exactly is the benefit of using it?

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Adhesion Promoter is a primer that is meant for painting over plastics mainly but most say they are for all surfaces. I prefer a self etching primer for metal.

If there's any severe rust or pitting on the frame, grind it down to bare metal or treat it with a rust converter. Or both. Rust never sleeps.

Follow the directions on the spray can to the letter... The manufacturers know what they're doing--they're the pros.

➡ Paint when it's warm outside--you're running out of time on that one. :eek:

➡ Hold can 8-12" from the surface and paint with a sweeping motion.

And ditto on the degreasing. Wash the frame twice if need be, with dish soap and use mineral spirits on a rag for a quick wipe down prior to painting.

Remove the engine by all means. Makes the frame a lot lighter when you flip it over to paint the bottom--you are painting the bottom, right?

Last edited:

Binger

Reaction score
I have to agree with the above. Take the kart apart as far as possible to paint. Prep work is the key to having success with painting. Cleaning and degreasing the frame is very important. Be sure to follow the instructions on the primer and paint. Pay attention to the Recoat and drying times. Those Paint manufacturer recommendations will help you get a better finish. Its hard for me to remember that two light coats of paint is better than one heavy one. Good Luck with your project.

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
Adhesion Promoter is a primer that is meant for painting over plastics mainly but most say they are for all surfaces. I prefer a self etching primer for metal.

If there's any severe rust or pitting on the frame, grind it down to bare metal or treat it with a rust converter. Or both. Rust never sleeps.

Follow the directions on the spray can to the letter...

➡ Paint when it's warm outside--you're running out of time on that one. :eek:

➡ Hold can 8-12" from the surface and paint with a sweeping motion.

And ditto on the degreasing. Wash the frame twice if need be, with dish soap and use mineral spirits on a rag for a quick wipe down prior to painting.

Remove the engine by all means. Makes the frame a lot lighter when you flip it over to paint the bottom--you are painting the bottom, right?
I'll definitely be painting the bottom so I'll be sure to take the engine off. Thanks for the other tips. I'll look into the different primers mentioned and see what will work best for my project

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up one of these spray can triggers or something similar. Makes painting much easier, your finger won't fall off from holding the nozzle down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-Economy-Spray-Grip-Accessory-243546/100140106
Never heard of those before, but I'm definitely going to buy one now. Thanks so much for recommending it!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
It's probably pretty cold up in your A.O. right now, so maybe you can paint in a garage with the door open or with a ventilation fan sucking the fumes out? If not, outside on a rolling trolley or saw horses with wheels is a great idea.

Prior to painting, a well-known hack is to heat the can of paint in a bowl of hot water (OR in front of a stove or fireplace) or take other measures to ensure that the paint isn't cold before painting. Be careful though, don't heat it so high that the can explodes :eek:. If it's cold, the paint won't flow as well and it will jeopardize the smooth finish you're trying to achieve.

Then when done, roll the frame inside, close the doors and heat the garage with a space heater [under the frame, preferably] and get the temp up to room temperature (70°) or higher. ---Otherwise your paint will take forever to dry in the cold. You could also use a heat gun and blow the hot air over the frame back and forth.

I forgot to mention that using a medium grit sandpaper on the frame prior to painting is in itself an 'adhesion promoter', especially over the existing gloss paint. You want to dull that down and provide "tooth" for the new layer of paint/primer.

Last edited:

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
It's probably pretty cold up in your A.O. right now, so maybe you can paint in a garage with the door open or with a ventilation fan sucking the fumes out? If not, outside on a rolling trolley or saw horses with wheels is a great idea.

Prior to painting, a well-known hack is to heat the can of paint in a bowl of hot water (OR in front of a stove or fireplace) or take other measures to ensure that the paint isn't cold before painting. Be careful though, don't heat it so high that the can explodes :eek:. If it's cold, the paint won't flow as well and it will jeopardize the smooth finish you're trying to achieve.

Then when done, roll the frame inside, close the doors and heat the garage with a space heater [under the frame, preferably] and get the temp up to room temperature (70°) or higher. ---Otherwise your paint will take forever to dry in the cold. You could also use a heat gun and blow the hot air over the frame back and forth.

I forgot to mention that using a medium grit sandpaper on the frame prior to painting is in itself an 'adhesion promoter', especially over the existing gloss paint. You want to dull that down and provide "tooth" for the new layer of paint/primer.
Yeah it's definitely already cold here. It's supposed to snow next week lol. I'll definitely take the heating tips. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.