tillotson 212 ripping pull cord out of hand

Trevinator

Reaction score
i have a billet flywheel a bigger cam and thinner head gasket on my tillotson 212 engine and it has been ripping the pull cord out of my hand if i dont have the engine at the correct spot in the cycle when i pull it over. its been a while since i built this engine so i dont remember the exact details on it, but i would like to have it NOT rip the pull cord out of my hand every time i try and start it. should i try a timing key on the flywheel to retard the timing a bit? if i remember right, the valve lash is what it should be for the cam. i would like to be able to easily start this engine up again. any thoughts on what i could try?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Compression ratio won’t have anything to do with your problem.
However is the compression release mechanism intact on the cam? Did you knock it loose? Too far advanced timing will also make it tough. Pull start technique is also important. Bring it up to compression and then slide pull cord back in and pull through all the way to the end of the rope.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Check and recheck valve lash. Make sure to check, spin over, recheck put it back together. I don't want to sound like I know everything (I. Definitely don't) just trying to check things off the list.

NubsWithGuns

Reaction score
You're probably doing it wrong.
Are you jsut pulling and pulling until it starts?
If so stop it
Get it on the compression stroke before you give it a full yank and it shouldn't kick back.

Since there is no compression release on that engine.....