thunder kart engine questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx7750680

Reaction score
I bought this Thunder Kart (I think thats what it is) The engine has a Briggs And Stratton recoil assembly but it seems to work.

I have a few questions,

Is this the original engine? The mounting looks kinda weird.

Is there a engine ID or part number somewhere on the engine like the Briggs and Stratton engines?

Also, am i missing any thing on the throttle cable spring area on the frame? This also looks like its hacked together with a hose clamp.

Im going to take this engine off and mount my new Predator 6.5 so i guess it does not realy matter what the current engine is but just courious.

ps, any other information you can provide me on this paticular kart would be great.

Attachments

• GO KART 057.jpg
    GO KART 057.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 17
  • GO KART 058.jpg
    GO KART 058.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 23
  • GO KART 059.jpg
    GO KART 059.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 22
  • GO KART 060.jpg
    GO KART 060.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 22
  • GO KART 065.jpg
    GO KART 065.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14
  • GO KART 064.jpg
    GO KART 064.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 16
  • GO KART 063.jpg
    GO KART 063.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
  • GO KART 062.jpg
    GO KART 062.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
  • GO KART 061.jpg
    GO KART 061.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23

jamyers

Reaction score
Looks like I've got that same kart, although I've lengthened mine, went to a live axle, and upped the hp - see the link in my sig for details.

That engine mounting is not original, all the factory used was a small flat plate.

Not bad karts, but if you're going off smooth pavement with it, I'll suggest you get a welder and get ready to reinforce it.

The steering on these can definately use some help. I heated and twisted the front brackets that the steering arms connect to, so that the "kingpin" bolt was leaning backwards instead of straight up/down or forwards. Made it a LOT less twitchy as speed, next I'm thinking of lengthening the tie rods and making them "cross over" each other at the steering shaft ends, hooking one up on the top of the plate and the other on the bottom so they don't interfere - trying to get some ackermann effect (increasing toe-in when turning)

tx7750680

Reaction score
I found the lable. Look at the picture

Attachments

• 2012-09-25_16-16-09_843.jpg
    2012-09-25_16-16-09_843.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11

tx7750680

Reaction score
Anyone want to buy it? It runs good. Go kart does about 25 mph with me on itand im 270

$50 plus shipping. Probably about $40

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
I bought this Thunder Kart (I think thats what it is) The engine has a Briggs And Stratton recoil assembly but it seems to work.

I have a few questions,

Is this the original engine? The mounting looks kinda weird.

Is there a engine ID or part number somewhere on the engine like the Briggs and Stratton engines?

Also, am i missing any thing on the throttle cable spring area on the frame? This also looks like its hacked together with a hose clamp.

Im going to take this engine off and mount my new Predator 6.5 so i guess it does not realy matter what the current engine is but just courious.

ps, any other information you can provide me on this paticular kart would be great.

Your Kart is the same as mine. I was wondering why I had to move a few things to get my 7HP Predator to fit and everything to line up, and your pics make perfect sense. The Tecumseh engine you have appears to have a longer shaft. BTW, to add bigger rear tires means raising the engine. I originally bought my Kart for $50, but it was stripped.

Is your Kart still for sale? $50 is hard to pass up for a Kart that has all the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.