Throttle and brake pedal/lever location

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHen

Reaction score
So, I was thinking of possibly having the brake and throttle 'pedals' on the steering wheel instead of having foot pedals. I would have the brake be a lever action that would give the hand massive leverage and the pad would only have to close a minute amount to grab the rotor, which is 8 inches. It is a mechanical caliper.

My question is would this make steering a pain? Does anyone have any experience with such a setup?

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Its possible. But, I think it will really depend on your steering lock. If its too much the levers will end upside down, which leaves them virtually useless. If its a mechanical caliper you are going to need a lot of force, as you said. Maybe just make a prototype before you do anything else, just as a proof of concept.

As for making steering a pain? I don't think so, as long as you lock isn't over half a turn.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
So, I was thinking of possibly having the brake and throttle 'pedals' on the steering wheel instead of having foot pedals. I would have the brake be a lever action that would give the hand massive leverage and the pad would only have to close a minute amount to grab the rotor, which is 8 inches. It is a mechanical caliper.

My question is would this make steering a pain? Does anyone have any experience with such a setup?

Start looking into the Honda Odyssey steering yoke (wheel) set up. They use hand controls and from what I understand are effective when set up correctly. You could probably score the yoke assembly on Ebay and work from there. Our resident Odyssey freak's username is Bighead- he's your go-to guy on this one. If he doesn't weight in on this thread any time soon, send him a private message. I'm certain he will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
as soon as i read this, i thought, odyssey.

VR4

Kilted Kiwi
Reaction score
Search for Drift 2 go-karts on Ebay or elsewhere online and you will see they are set up this way. I also own one and they work well - haven't had any issues yet. Even my 7 year old can work them.

Wim

Jazz Maverick
Reaction score
Dotto to what VR4 said. The Drift 2 has throttle and brake on the wheel/yoke, I prefer it to my previous karts as there's more control than foot pedals over really rough terrain.

kartmaster

Reaction score
hey guys, i like the set up of the steering wheel, do they sell the steering wheel as a separate part, what is the "part name" i guess?? xDd. Would it be wired as a simple pull on the throttle cable using the handles? or would there have to be a whole different setup?? thanks

JHen

Reaction score
Alright then, I will go with this setup and if it doesn't work, I can reconfigure it to something else.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I see no one has mentioned it, but the bar stool racer crowd has been doing this for a long time now.
For ex. I found this on the net of a google search,

Status
Not open for further replies.