This kart any good? 6.5hp honda clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forums as I've only just became interested in go karts. I live on a farm with around 190 acre's of cleared land (gravel roads and grass).

I'm interested in buying a go kart but I'm not really sure what would be good for me and need some help :)
I assumed that I wouldn't be able to get a proper go kart like the ones at the tracks, as I would mainly be driving on bumpy/stony gravel and grass.
I was looking at this kart on eBay (as I don't think a DIY would be suitable for me). The engine is a 6.5hp engine, that I'm told is a clone of a honda engine, and he said it's prob around 100-110cc. The kart also has disc brakes, suspension, dirt wheels and is brand new (link to pictures etc.. below). I already have a 350cc & 400cc honda quad, and a 200cc honda motorbike (dad bought for the farm, but I ride for fun), so I don't really want something too underpowered. What would this engine be like considering I'm 80kg (6 foot tall) and riding on gravel/grass? $1000 is a fair bit of money for me, so I would not want to be disappointed with it :) I'm also a bit reluctant to take the govener off to begin with, so I'm interested in power with the 3600rpm rev limit.

Go kart I'm thinking of: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150321580271
Go kart I thought would be to low:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170295224939

:D

*EDIT* Prices are in Australian Dollars. So $1 is around 60c in US dollars.

brendonv

Reaction score
A bit expensive. 1300 bucks could build u a very nice kart if u already go a mig welder and other tools. If not look in the paper, u can pick up some steals in there. My kart cost about $500 to build ( i only paid like $350, dad paid rest XD ) and its a decent kart. Because of the aussie exchange rate atm i spend double what i would of if i made this kart 5 months ago. O well. So im guessing ur in like nsw, im from Perth. XD

Good luck with what ever u do.
Brendon.v

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Yeah I'm in NSW (mid coast). I could get a genuine honda CX200 for $600 or so, and I guess off eBay delivered a clone for $200. I do not have a mig, but I think we were getting one anyway, the problem is, I'm not exactly very good at building things. Everything I build seems to be wonky, let alone I don't have enough know how to put on the brakes etc..

So long as the kart on eBay looked like a strong sturdy build, and the engine was powerful enough I would be happy.

How much does it cost to buy a frame for a kart without an engine, but with brakes etc.. (I would need ones that is reasonably high off the ground)

bigfootrules31

Reaction score
buy a $300 dollar car youl have 300 times the fun i had a gocart with a 200 4wheeler engine in it, i sold it for 800 and got a car, much more fun on gravel and mud

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!
From Victoria here. 1000 bucks for that kart? I dunno about that mate, I'd wait a bit for something else. For $1000 you could get something much better I believe, or modify something else. It's your cash though. Personally, I would de-gov that engine (though you will need a billet flywheel), and whack a header and a high flow air filter on straight away, but you may be pleased with it's stock performance. I'm just a rev-head.

For $1000 you could do much better with this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Odysse...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Braden.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Hi from Sydney,

If you want the best (imo) kart engine ever, for the money, you can't go wrong with a postie bike which has been written off. You can buy them here, at auction.

http://www.pickles.com.au

For that you get a 110cc single cylinder which develops 7.5hp at 9000 rpm, 4 speed manual, with an auto centrifugal clutch. If you can find a badly damaged one it can be had for < $250.

Andrew

P.S don't get that kart. It is WAY too expensive. Buy a better quality, better designed second hand kart. Check tradingpost often.

brendonv

Reaction score
to make a rolling chassis, so everything but the engine would be about 400-700bucks depending on how much stuff u already got n whether u get high quality stuff or not.

Ok heres my build pricing.

Frame: free, already had metal
Bearing holders n bearings: $50
Wheels: $30ea High quality bearings in em. Rated to 17000rpm
Steering: Used bike frame got off side of road and some metal i already had.
Seat: $2 from tip
Sprocket: $30
holder:$30
Clutch: $65
Chain: $16
Brake caliper, disc: $150
Engine: Free

Total: $463

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Damm.
Build pricing for my kart.
Frame-provided
Sprocket-provided
Chain-provided
Steering-provided
Brakes-provided
Seat-provided
Bearings-provided
Wheels and tyres-provided
Cost of already provided materials: $130.

Motor (Genuine GX140)-Free. (De gov'd, header, high flow air filter)
Motor mount-Free.

Misc expenses put onto motor, frame, nuts, bolts, helmet, e.t.c. $250.

Total $380.

brendonv

Reaction score
Damm.
Build pricing for my kart.
Frame-provided
Sprocket-provided
Chain-provided
Steering-provided
Brakes-provided
Seat-provided
Bearings-provided
Wheels and tyres-provided
Cost of already provided materials: $130.

Motor (Genuine GX140)-Free. (De gov'd, header, high flow air filter)
Motor mount-Free.

Misc expenses put onto motor, frame, nuts, bolts, helmet, e.t.c. $250.

Total $380.

You ****ing lucky bastard!

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
I'm now looking into making my own (I made another thread). So far it's looking... umm very hard, for me anyway (considering I have 0 knowledge on disc brakes, ohv engines, steering or anything, lol)

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
The Honda OHV engines are much easier to work on than a Briggs & Stratton, I HIGHLY recommend one! Just two nuts to remove the whole carb, can't go wrong with that! Even if you don't know much about these engines, you will see that they are easy to use and fix, and give you PLENTY of power for your cart.

Russell ATV

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forums as I've only just became interested in go karts. I live on a farm with around 190 acre's of cleared land (gravel roads and grass).

I'm interested in buying a go kart but I'm not really sure what would be good for me and need some help :)
I assumed that I wouldn't be able to get a proper go kart like the ones at the tracks, as I would mainly be driving on bumpy/stony gravel and grass.
I was looking at this kart on eBay (as I don't think a DIY would be suitable for me). The engine is a 6.5hp engine, that I'm told is a clone of a honda engine, and he said it's prob around 100-110cc. The kart also has disc brakes, suspension, dirt wheels and is brand new (link to pictures etc.. below). I already have a 350cc & 400cc honda quad, and a 200cc honda motorbike (dad bought for the farm, but I ride for fun), so I don't really want something too underpowered. What would this engine be like considering I'm 80kg (6 foot tall) and riding on gravel/grass? $1000 is a fair bit of money for me, so I would not want to be disappointed with it :) I'm also a bit reluctant to take the govener off to begin with, so I'm interested in power with the 3600rpm rev limit.

Go kart I'm thinking of: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150321580271
Go kart I thought would be to low:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170295224939

:D

*EDIT* Prices are in Australian Dollars. So $1 is around 60c in US dollars.

The kart you are looking at is most often called the Drift or the Drift II. It is a solid fun little kart. The rear suspension is ineffective, and I think the engine they use feels weaker than other 6.5HP clone engines. I have a source out of China for this vehicle so I know the cost. I actually think the parts are the best part of the kart. It has great wheels, drive components, and other bits. I am working up plans to sell these parts.

Asking people in this forum for advice on a new kart, will likely get the same sentiment that you have recieved so far. This is a do it yourself forum, so buying the kart as a whole is not what they/we are about. As with everything you can buy old and damaged cheap. But don't buy it if you do not have the time or capability to work on it. New stuff is great if you actually want to use it. I would wager, that most people on this forum that drive a car, have a car that is under 7 yrs of age. Because we buy cars for work and to get from A to B. We build karts as part of a hobby, that is often more fun than driving them when we are done.

Russ Barrow
Russell ATV

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
I would make one... its more fun, and you can have your own preferences, unless you dont have time.

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Well, I'm kinda just going on how much the kart in my other thread is, which is around $1100. But I'm kinda thinking even if it's a few hundred cheaper then that, It might be worth the extra for a professionally built one, then, I would know how everything went together and have some parts for a future build maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.