THIS is what it's all about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
I recently (as in 10 minutes ago) received the folllowing PM simply entitled "Thanks":

firemanjim said:
So i was putting a 3.5 hp bns engine on a frame to test it out. Figured I'd need to overhaul the carb. Remember, this is one I was cussing cause it would start or stay running....
Well, the tank was clean so I put in a little gas. Then I remembered what you said, so I filled it up past 3/4 tank. Well I'll be a sonuvabish.... Not only did it start, (a year later) after playing with the choke, it stays running. Cranks on the first or second pull too!now I'm gonna drag out all the bns's I got and see how many I can get to start up, with a full tank....
Anyway, thanks again for that today bit of info! Saved me $5 and a headache.... :lolgoku:
Jim

Just in case no one remembers, some time ago, I was told a little tip by a 40 year veteran mower mechanic about B&S engines with the suction carb not starting with less than 3/4 of a tank of fuel... & he would know...

Every day, we, collectively, offer advice & help to thousands of members, new, veteran, young, old or otherwise but,
it's the little details like this that, IMO, make all the difference...

Jim was about to spend time & money unnecessarily, only to end up with the same problem... until he remembered this little titbit...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
We can argue about anything. ....all day long. ....we can get on each others nerves...we can agree to disagree. ..but. ....one thing is for sure. ...this is the greatest forum in the world! !!!!!

You don't even have to be into karts. ....just respectful. ..of the forum and other members. ...and just listen with an open mind. .

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
I remember when i was like 15 i had the tank mounted carb. Could not run it down on gas. My friend said take off carb. Low and behold i had 2 tubes, 1 of which was laying in tank.??? 1 about 3/4 tank level was there. No idea why 2 but put the longer one on and woooopty doooo i could run run run that sucker.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Tony is exactly right. This IS what it's all about. I guarantee you that if he had not said that, I would have put a carb kit in it and be back in the same boat. I never fill a fuel tank unless I know the engine runs and I won't have to pull it later. I will with the Briggs though.... Now that I am "in the know"..... :thumbsup:
This is the kind of stuff I looked the forum for. The little things that fix big problems (read headache)..... I would NEVER have known that trick had it not been for Tony, and DIYGK. (thanks Robert... :thumbsup:)

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Tony is exactly right. This IS what it's all about. I guarantee you that if he had not said that, I would have put a carb kit in it and be back in the same boat. I never fill a fuel tank unless I know the engine runs and I won't have to pull it later. I will with the Briggs though.... Now that I am "in the know"..... :thumbsup:
This is the kind of stuff I looked the forum for. The little things that fix big problems (read headache)..... I would NEVER have known that trick had it not been for Tony, and DIYGK. (thanks Robert... :thumbsup:)

And now this man ↑ has helped many others. ...... Thanks Jim !!! You are appreciated here.....

But that's what we really live for.....the smallest problem solved makes our day.....on the other side of the coin....is the member that seemingly just can't be reached. ......it's frustrating. ....because we try hard to help. ......but they refuse to even listen.....even though we know what they need to do......

And our worst day ever.....a polite....sincere member with a seemingly simple problem. ..that we just can't seem to solve. .....

Those feel good when they are finally sorted out ......but mental torture. ...until they are......

Anyway .....that's my take on it.......

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I STILL can't figure out that wheel hopping thing..... GRRRRRRRR... (that one?) :lolgoku:
Thanks Doug, but you do some helping around here too. Right now, there is a key handful of guys that are helping out where best they can. That's the foundation of a great forum. Everybody help where you can. If we keep this up, there ain't no kart that won't get fixed.....
I give a round of applause to all you gentlemen. You know who you are. (if you have to think about it, it's not you.... :lolgoku: )

Attachments

• applaud.gif
    applaud.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.