• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

This is a tough call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
So the other day, I hear a noise and a neighbor is having his Jeep delivered via wrecker. Front end smashed to bejeebers.

Said he's waiting on insurance. Now...he rear ended a parked car. BUT!!!! The car was "parked" in the middle of the road...because the owner ran out of gas.

AND....it didn't have any lights on and it was night.

How do you think he will fare?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
This is Texas. Right?
Hmmm. .
I think they will hang the other Driver, Publicly (for being to dumb to live) and force his remaining family members to do slave labor to pay for the damage to your neighbors Jeep.
Then give them IQ tests and send the Dumb ones to California!

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
First, they will pass a law that all cars must now carry cones and reflectors.
Then they will punish him severely for not obeying the law.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
law is if 2 tires are in the yard than the person who hit the car is at fault.
if car is on the main street like on side of the road. than this is consider no fault.
know here is where it gets tricky.if you park your car on the wrong side of the road and you car is facing the wrong way.than you will be at fault.
the reason i
know this is because i had 2 happen to me and one to my daughter....

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
He rear ended the other car. End of story still his fault. Should have looked where he was going.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Ironman! you park on the wrong side of the road Alot???

It was in my younger days
Bad thing was I just got the car
1987 Chrysler laser turbo
T-tops bright red.
First time neighbor back up smack the driver door.
Second time month later had it park across the street got side swipe I had to pay get there car fix cause was park wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
It was in my younger days
Bad thing was I just got the car
1987 Chrysler laser turbo
T-tops bright red.
First time neighbor back up smack the driver door.
Second time month later had it park across the street got side swipe I had to pay get there car fix cause was park wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...SORRY! But there's a reason that the penalties are so high for parking the wrong direction.

I've had some close calls with buttwipes pulling out from that position.

It gets worse when you throw in a parked car blocking your view.

I NEVER HAVE NOR NEVER WILL....do that! (Not even to drop someone off!)

It takes like one friggin minute to turn around!!!!!:surrender:

machinist@large

Reaction score
In Michigan,, if the first car didn't have it's hazards on, and the only reason it was sitting there was driver stupidity, it's driver would most definitely get a ticket for obstructing the road way. Your neighbor could still face a ticket though, for driving to fast for conditions; I.E. outdriving the effective range of his headlights.

Not as cut and dried as your neighbor would like.....

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
In Michigan,, if the first car didn't have it's hazards on, and the only reason it was sitting there was driver stupidity, it's driver would most definitely get a ticket for obstructing the road way. Your neighbor could still face a ticket though, for driving to fast for conditions; I.E. outdriving the effective range of his headlights.

Not as cut and dried as your neighbor would like.....

Exactly....that's the whole point of this thread.

Not cut and dried like me rear-ending a legally parked car in broad daylight because my snake suddenly got infatuated with the steering wheel!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Not cut and dried like me rear-ending a legally parked car in broad daylight because my snake suddenly got infatuated with the steering wheel!

Sure Blame the snake:idea2:... I blame the Poor and likely enebriated decision to bring the snake in the car.:roflol:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So was the owner of said parked car still in it? Like when your car is dieing and still rolling, pull the f over! Don't leave it in middle of road. And If he left? WTF, push it out if the way! Hope your neighbor is okay. Get full cash for car and keep it, use for big go kart..

OzFab

Reaction score
This is a tricky one, good thing it's the insurance companies that need to make the decision...

Over here, if you hit the rear end of the car in front, you're in the wrong, no questions; however, I can think of two situations where this law is faulty but, neither of them involve a car parked in the middle of the street...

What do I think will be the outcome of this situation? Each of the driver's insurance companies will pay for their customers car, simply because your neighbour was in the wrong BUT, you don't drive down the street expecting a car to be parked in the middle of the road; the dumba$$ driver of the other car should have pushed his car off the road or left hazard lights flashing to alert other drivers...

In short, they're both in the wrong...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah...again....this is why I said it was a tough one....I will let you guys in on the outcome when it's decided.

And...also...I mentioned this fact too....in a Civil case...shared liability means one party cannot prevail over the other if they are BOTH at fault....and in that case...it does not matter if someone was a little wrong or a lot....just that to prevail the litigant must not have contributed to the situation in any way....which clearly is NOT the case here....it's simply a coin toss as to how the insurance companies react....

So....grab a bag...and I'll get back when I find out....:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.