there was a screw in my engine

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
hey guys so i picked up some stuff from a friend of my dad, and in the pile was a seized homelite chainsaw, the blue one. so i get home and pull the exaust as you do and there's a bolt stuck in-between the exaust port and the piston. so i take it out but there is a small divit in the piston where the bolt was, and it hits the cylinder wall. should i attack it with a file or jut replace the piston or junk the whole project? ill post pics later.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
it was basically free and i have alot of other chainsaws. soo i dont need it but i think it looks cool and would be a nice tool to use.

karl

Reaction score
Not necessary to do anything.
Just use it as is.
Welcome Back!

I just put the lawn boy back on my azusa bike today and ripped it good.

Anyway Im guessing the saw is a XL12? Beast, but your hands are numb
after a few minutes of cutting

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
1964 Ford pickup with a 292 V-8 (the one with the crossover pipe between the exhaust manifolds) had a ball bearing dropped down thru the carb, banged up and down in one cylinder maybe 200 times, hard to tell because there wasn't a square micrometer not cratered by it, could have been 2000 times. Obviously went back up and came down in another cylinder, cratered it 5 times and embedded on the 6th impact. Chipped it out of the piston myself. Never had any idea something had happened to it, the job was to replace the worn out rings in what had been my Dad's old plumbing truck since the day it was new. Put it back together with all new rings, and then abused that unbreakable motor until I left the state.
In other words, close your eyes, button it up, and run it until one of you dies.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
well, i still couldn't turn the engine over without i making bad noises so i took the recoil off. low and behold, there's aluminum shaving in there . the piston and cylinder are fine i think theres a problem with the bearings or something because the flywheel hits the coil.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Does the crank move up and down? Then you might have a bad bearings. If not then it may just be a misadjusted coil gap.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
final report. the screws underneath the flywheel had come loose and were hitting it. the flywheel magnet was rubbing the coil a bit but not much. bearing are tight. i sanded the coil a bit and now the saw runs after tightening the screws. I'm going to take it back apart now that i know it runs and add blue Loctite on the screws. and yes it is an xl12