The too damn big rear tire three wheeler kart build log.

Jin Da Bull

Reaction score
Yup. Just as the title says. This is going to be a three wheeler with a 24x12x12 rear tire i got sitting around. I purchased a frame, briggs 5hp engine and the kart tires from a guy on craigs list for just $60. He also threw in 2 other briggs engines with parts missing on them. Good incase I need a part.

20210529_144212.jpg

The 5hp briggs runs but its rough so I decided to do a rebuild on it and get it up to prime condition. That's currently in process.

20210529_135743.jpg

The frame is old school from what I can tell. I cant identify it but it will work with some modification. I'll be widening the front bar where the spindles are a bit to accommodate the larger 16x6.5x8 tires the kart came with on the front or else the tires will grind against the frame when turning. I will replace the spindles for spring spindles for a bit of suspension.

To accommodate the rear tire I'll be building a rear suspension set up. So the rear will get chopped just a bit to accommodate it. Now I'm still learning about gear ratios and people here have been giving me some good advice on that.

With that said as soon as the engine gets built I'll get to work on the body. That shouldn't take long. I'm the measure five times, cut once kind of guy so I will be taking my time to make sure its right.

I'm also open to suggestions so please feel free to share any thoughts you guys have. Ill update as I go along.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! You are going to have to gear extremely low with tyres that size. Speed will be compromised as a result. Just as long as you are happy and aware of that :thumbsup:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Bless my failing eyes! Is that funky linkage on the right rear of the frame for an honest-to-goodness scrub brake? Old school indeed!
Would warn you about extra tire wear from that, but your tires have 75" of tread around them, wear not very drastic on those.
Will just give the standard warning in the absence of a live axle, that 1-wheel braking can get you hurt or worse.

Jin Da Bull

Reaction score
Bless my failing eyes! Is that funky linkage on the right rear of the frame for an honest-to-goodness scrub brake? Old school indeed!
Would warn you about extra tire wear from that, but your tires have 75" of tread around them, wear not very drastic on those.
Will just give the standard warning in the absence of a live axle, that 1-wheel braking can get you hurt or worse.
Is there any way to date that frame? Nothing precise, just an estimate.

Annnnnnd no. Sorry to say but the scrub brake is coming off. No way I'm depending on that for the tire going back there. 😆