• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

The "Scrap Yard" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

newrider3

Reaction score
Was at the local pick-and-pull yesterday getting a roof for my buddy's '64 C-30, and saw this.

Looks to have been laid over pretty hard on one side. I asked about the motor, but they want $500 just for the bare motor (this same place would sell you a complete smallblock core for $100). :surrender: They wouldn't sell the whole thing for parts either.
The real pisser was when my buddy asked if it even ran, the guy answered "None of us has even tried, we just got it in on scrap".
:mad2:
If only I had more money, or could figure out who decided to price it so high and slap them....

So what good finds or fails have you guys had at your local scrapyards lately?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I vote slap. There's been a few times I've been to a wrecking yard and desperately wanted to buy a complete *whatever* and they refused to sell it, and/or wanted a retarded price for a bit of it. I've even tried explaining that I don't want/need the title (sometimes that's the issue) and it still got me nowhere. AAARGH!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I swear to you guys (write this down) if I ever hit it big, I'm buying my own dang wrecking yard and spending the rest of my days on this earth playing Junkyard Wars!!!!! (Scrapheap Challenge to those from the UK)

honda-gx-power

Reaction score
Im a big buyer in my local town and to me it sounds like the guys trying to get every dollor he can out of you.
You might aswell buy a 1998 downwards,full bike realy tatty but a runner then you will get ecu cdi wireloom ect.Because if you buy that engine then it will cost you a few $$$ to get a wireloom ecu cdi ect.
Try come to a total price with the bike seller for everthing that will make engine run.
By the way over in the us do honda cbr (not 125 tho) have H.I.S.S (honda ignition security system)
And do your r6 and r1 have Y.I.S.S ?
Make sure you get key for loom if its got K.I.S.S
Please google honda H.I.S.S and see what its all about if you have never heard of it, its a very good anti theft device

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Scrapheap challenge was awesome, i remember when the teams made a huge log puller's man that big one was just amazing, too bad it blew up, haha.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That has to have been my favorite show of all time. The original british version, with Robert Llewellyn and Cathy Rogers hosting. The american version that came to us a few seasons later lost some panache. As far as I was concerned, it was the ultimate reality show!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Me? No. I'm working on a buch of things right now, and I personally don't need that info ATM. Thanks, though- I'll keep it in mind. The only bike engine I have right now is an '87 XV250, nothing fancy on it.

Eric492

Reaction score
1977 toyota celica GT at the junk yard the guy said not for sell but i am determined on getting it or finding a used one

newrider3

Reaction score
Bump, thought you guys would find this as amusing as I did the other day at the junkyard.

So, you have a twin traction beam Ford, but wish you had a solid axle? Wish no more:

Note also the hardware store U-bolts, and janky-ass tie rods.

Now what to do with the rear suspension???

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

redsox985

Reaction score
I really need to find a few scrap yards around me and go wander around...

redsox985

Reaction score
^^^ Except I have a car and a license so I can pi$$ away whole days of my summer picking! :D

sexyvicta

Reaction score
500 is not a bad price for a zx6-r engine!

i've paid $500 for an fzr250 enigne private sale. $1200 another time off an engine importer. Thats NZ dollars but yeh that kawasaki engine is flashhhh

also guy talking about ecu's: arn't kawasakis of that age carb'd? when did they switch to fuel injection? iduno should google that lol

edit: google says 2003! i was close haha

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I can only hope that butchered Ford never made it on the road like that- that's bad! As a 4-wheelin' fan, I've seen a lot of very interesting designs and setups. But there's a line drawn in the sand somewhere between DIY innovation and all-out butchery. THAT guy needs the Cleaver Award.

Status
Not open for further replies.