The latest street legal 420

vegasboy

Reaction score
How's it going guys this time I took two other projects apart to make this one. I have a question about torque converter. My current gearing is a 14 tooth and a 48 tooth on the rear 24-in wheel. The torque converter has a hard time getting past 42 mph. With a centrifugal clutch that current gearing would be doing 60 plus albeit no take off speed. I will with a torque converter this time because of its ability to overcome certain gearing. However I do not know what's the fastest anybody got a torque converter to do? And does anybody think there's an issue with the performance of the torque converter maybe not maxing out all the way? My acceleration is still very good with the current setup, but I am looking for 60 plus. And the belt dust on the back plate was due to the pulleys being misaligned which I have corrected.IMG_20210120_153849.jpgIMG_20210120_153542.jpgIMG_20210120_153658.jpg

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of a gear ratio issue to me, but I'm not sure what a good one would be as minibikes aren't really my thing.

vegasboy

Reaction score
I took a shaky video of the Tc in action and only saw the fully on the engine max out at the very end of my run. If it's a horsepower issue, I will bump it up a little bit. However if the tc ratio is off I do not know what to do about that. I have the smallest sprocket you can get for my rear wheel. And I've gone from a 10 tooth on the TC to a 14 tooth to see if it would stretch out the gearing a little. It does not seem like my motor is maxed out when it is wide open.

79MiniBike

Reaction score
I took a shaky video of the Tc in action and only saw the fully on the engine max out at the very end of my run. If it's a horsepower issue, I will bump it up a little bit. However if the tc ratio is off I do not know what to do about that. I have the smallest sprocket you can get for my rear wheel. And I've gone from a 10 tooth on the TC to a 14 tooth to see if it would stretch out the gearing a little. It does not seem like my motor is maxed out when it is wide open.
wait a minute, i see that you reversed the driver pulley. You need to reverse the direction of the belt as well.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Not if it’s a 40 series! Gear ratio is to high and you probably are not making the horsepower, torque and rpm to make it work.