Tecumseh motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
I found two 5hp Tecumseh motors for 25.00 they both run good are they any good for flowers? The guy also gave me .3 old frames for free. Frames need a lot of work but they were free. I was just wondering if they were very dependable motors. Sorry not flowers. Gokarts:lolgoku:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
A few guys like the tec. motors. It is a good motor. They have very finicky carbs and so therefore alot more people hate them.
I have never had one.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
He^ is one of the "few" I was referring to. Again it is not a bad motor, if you don't mind learning how the carb is set up.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Got photos of your most recent acquisitions?

I told you you'd be back. :D

I like the Tecumsehs too and was about to get a kart that had an older one on it.

father87

Reaction score
I like'm! Check out my threads, I had trouble with them initially but now they're great.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

pics please!

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
sorry haven't got back to yall earlier. been pretty busy I will get pics when and if I ever get back home. going to try to build one from scratch. don't know if I can but i'm gonna try. with help from you guys I think I can. i'm pretty handi with a welder and torch. I can always cut it up and try again. yes hellion this is addictive. and I really want to thank every one for their help I will be asking a lot of question. I hope it doesn't get old. will send pics when I can

Hellion

Reaction score
It NEVER gets old. As long as we can bring guys (and gals) like you into the fold, it's its own reward. Ask all you like--because not only does it serve your purpose in the here and now, it also helps those who come along later looking to build or refurbish their own karts and minibikes.

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
Modern Techumsehs are good oversized paperweights... that's about it. For fully running engines that cost $8.30 a pop you can't beat it. Only thing is they don't have much room for mods or error such as the Clones or Honda series.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
Well paper weights have a purpose to. I'm trying to make my mind up what kind of material to use. Any suggestions would be useful. I've purchased wheels, spindles, brake and throttle pedals, clutch, engine mount and single wheel drive assembly. Found a seat and steering wheel at the junk yard. I got 6 inch wheels 60 tooth sprocket ten tooth clutch tires are about 10 1/2" tall do y'all think the ratio will be right.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Since you live so close............... Can i have one if i catch you a $1 with my fishing pole after throwing it at you ? lol

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
well apparently you don't like them either. I got both of them running great on a bench. seem to have plenty of power for what they cost. all I do is fix them and give them away. it might make a good trot line weight for you. it's free for the taking. I know it wouldn't be worth the gas to come and get it. but I think it will serve the reason that I got them. to make a kid smile.(even if is for a short time)

Hellion

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the newer OHV Tecumsehs but the older flatheads seemed to be pretty reliable and on par with their competitor Briggs.

What kind of Tecs are they?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I have a minibike with a 5HP Tecumseh Powersport OHH50 68025F.
Like 5:1 gear ratio with 14.5" tires and a Torque Converter.
I was surprised by how much power it had after hearing everybody bad mouth these engines.
I can stand the minibike straight up (AND DID the first time I tried to ride it). Now I know to lean forward when twisting the throttle. LOL

Anywhooo, I'm about to PIMP my Tec. Header, Air Filter, Jetting, Maybe P & P, who knows MAYBE ARC Billet Rod, Valve Springs, etc......

I tried to learn the product line of Tec engines. I was confused there are H50, HS50, OHH50, and a million others. I gave up!

Status
Not open for further replies.