Tecumseh 10hp manco dingo help

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
Currently working on a project, upgrading and restoring a 10hp manco dingo. it runs and drives fine but even when full throttle down a hill barely reaches speeds of over 20mph. this could be normal for this engine but ive seen 6.5hp dingos reaching over 30mph on flat. As the engine runs i dont want to jump straight to purchasing a new engine both for cost and practicallity reasons. any things i could do to improve the speed or

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & :welcome2:

How long have you had this kart?
Did it go faster before?

First thing I would check is to see if there is a "throttle blocker"

A screw or something that restricts the top speed (for like an inexperienced driver or kids & such)

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
The screw in the attached photo was screwed in about a quarter of the way. However when unscrewed to allow full clearance it cannot return to where it began which may cause some issues021D4FB7-75DE-4D3E-B174-8EF2078E2F51.jpeg

Attachments

• 7E8A8E17-513E-4A75-9D87-5D9FA45EE5D9.jpeg
    7E8A8E17-513E-4A75-9D87-5D9FA45EE5D9.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 4

karl

Reaction score
What you circled is the idle adjustment screw.

The governor RPM adjustment is on the throttle control plate,
here is an example. It takes a t10 torx to adjust.

Whenever playing with throttle adjustmemts, put the kart's front end against the wall
or stationary object, and jack the rear end off the ground to test.
Don't need any run-aways lol.

Attachments

• Resized_20220718_144754.jpeg
    Resized_20220718_144754.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 9

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
What you circled is the idle adjustment screw.

The governor RPM adjustment is on the throttle control plate,
here is an example. It takes a t10 torx to adjust.

Whenever playing with throttle adjustmemts, put the kart's front end against the wall
or stationary object, and jack the rear end off the ground to test.
Don't need any run-aways lol.
Thanks for the help. Only thing I can see similar is this one here. I’ll take a look at adjusting it tomorrow if that is the case. ThanksC3873272-D067-4C6D-B0D7-4485AE2413FA.jpeg

Last edited:

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Only thing I can see similar is this one here. I’ll take a look at adjusting it tomorrow if that is the case. ThanksView attachment 133645
Looks like quite a bit of slack on that throttle cable too. Sometimes you can just get the slack out of the line while it's running (be careful not to run yourself over), get it to the point right before she wants to go, tighten it down, and that'll give you a bit more gusto.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Also...if the cables are too expensive or hard to find, I've used hand brake cables for bicycles from Walmart and made my own. 4 of em for like $15. Work just fine.

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
Also...if the cables are too expensive or hard to find, I've used hand brake cables for bicycles from Walmart and made my own. 4 of em for like $15. Work just fine.
Looks like quite a bit of slack on that throttle cable too. Sometimes you can just get the slack out of the line while it's running (be careful not to run yourself over), get it to the point right before she wants to go, tighten it down, and that'll give you a bit more gusto.
Already taken a look at it. Increased about 5mph and Is reaching around 26mph when going flat out downhill

karl

Reaction score
In the picture on post 5, the throttle return spring is in the wrong place.

It is pulling directly against the governer arm, limiting the RPM's of the engine.

Yes the adjustment screw I was talking about is present on your throttle plate,
but said spring is directly counteracting it.

The return spring should go from the throttle cable clamp area to somewhere down,
to pull the cable back , and not interfere with the function of the governer.

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
In the picture on post 5, the throttle return spring is in the wrong place.

It is pulling directly against the governer arm, limiting the RPM's of the engine.

Yes the adjustment screw I was talking about is present on your throttle plate,
but said spring is directly counteracting it.

The return spring should go from the throttle cable clamp area to somewhere down,
to pull the cable back , and not interfere with the function of the governer.
I don’t see anywhere else it could go. When pulling the throttle it does have some sort of force counteracting it. The spring keeps the idle adjuster and governor back. Will undoing the throttle adjuster slightly make it any faster if so I’ll take a look when I get home. Thanks for the help

karl

Reaction score
Your welcome, I hope this pic clears it up.

When the engine is not running, the governer should be holding the throttle flap on the carb
open to help the engine start. Once the engine starts, the governer will pull the carb
back to idle or whenever rpm based on where the cable is pulling on the throttle control plate.

So the spring needs moved as the pic shows. C3873272-D067-4C6D-B0D7-4485AE2413FA.jpeg

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score

When the engine is not running, the governer should be holding the throttle flap on the carb
open to help the engine start. Once the engine starts, the governer will pull the carb
back to idle or whenever rpm based on where the cable is pulling on the throttle control plate.

So the spring needs moved as the pic shows. View attachment 133654
There is a spiring to the left that might serve the same purpose as moving this one. If I move this one I’m not sure if the idle adjuster will be able to return back to its spot after moving

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
T

So the spring needs moved as the pic shows. View attachment 133654
Took one side of the spring out and eveything jumped backwards. The idle adjuster now moves clockwise and the governor has to be pushed in towards the engineimage.jpg

karl

Reaction score
Yep that "left spring" is the return. So if the cable returns with that spring, throw the one I said to remove away,
if not install like my picture depicts.
Put the cart on jackstands and start the motor.

Alfiejack_12370

Reaction score
Yep that "left spring" is the return. So if the cable returns with that spring, throw the one I said to remove away,
if not install like my picture depicts.
Put the cart on jackstands and start the motor.
When the spring is removed everything moved opposite to what it was originally as shown in the attracted photo. Changing the spring to where u said to put it would serve the same purpose as the return spring1A8BFAA1-BB06-40CF-BD6C-5AC42797FBDC.jpeg

karl

Reaction score
In the picture in post #17, the last pic you posted the cable is pulling the throttle control plate to half throttle.

Refer to post #16.

If it still runs wide open , the governer could be busted in the motor from the spring installed forcing it the wrong way,
or the governer arm could have slipped on shaft going into the motor block.

I’m guessing is to do with everything being backwards.
If everything was backwards, how would the engine have worked from the factory?

The motor never needed random springs slapped on after it left the assembly line.