Techumseh 5 hp power sport Timing

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I have a techumseh 5hp powersport, I had over revved it and belw the govener gear into bits, I had to take it apart for removal and the crank hung down and skipped a few teeth on the cam and now it runs very poorly, while running there is almost a solid mist of gasoline coming out of the carb, how would i adjust timing correctly? do I find tdc and make sure both valves are closed?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
There is usually a mark on the crank gear and a mark on the cam gear that need to be lined up. I use a business card to set coil gap between flywheel. It also works on car points in a pinch. :thumbsup:

FlyFrog

Reaction score
thank you, if it doesnt have one/ doesnt fix the problem what may it be? bad spark, sparking to late? sparking to early? not sparking? ive had this happen to other engines so i get tired of em and use em for parts, this is one of the first engines im actually trying to take care of

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Lining up timing marks on crank and cam needs to be job #1, too far out and a valve goes through the top of a piston. Then check to see if you bent the pushrods at all. Then a compression test to make sure the valves aren't now crooked, and they're seating properly.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
There has to be timing marks on the gears! Otherwise how would you know how to align everything? Could be dots, lines paint marks.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Red Beard's Garage is a trusted Youtube site for working on gokarts. Check the link below for how to change out a OEM connecting rod for a proper billet rod, then about the 14:50 minutes mark he shows the timing marks for putting the cam back in. Check the matchup of the marks on your cam and crank accordingly.................
Predator 212 Stage 2 Install ~ Billet Rod, Billet Flywheel & Mod2 Cam - YouTube