Tec OHH6.0 = Predator 212cc 6.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron John

Reaction score
The stock Tecumseh OHH6.0 in my Yerf-Dog 3200 is ready to be sent out to the farm so that it can run in the fields with all the other small engines.

HF has their good old Predator 6.5 212 cc on sale for 99.99.

My time and the parts are worth that, so instead of rebuilding the Tec I am thinking of swapping in the Predator.

Just to confirm, the stock TC that came with my Yerf-Dog - the one mounted to the Tecumseh - will bolt right on to the Predator? It is the TC that takes a 3/4" asymmetrical belt.

Yes?

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
it should be a fairly easy swap. as far as mounting the engine they have the same bolt pattern, and yes the predator has a 3/4" shaft.

post a pic

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
it might be a different bolt.... not sure on that.

they have the same keyway. but the predator doesnt have a stepped shaft, its 3/4 the whole thing. are you sure the tecumseh has a stepped shaft?

Iron John

Reaction score
it might be a different bolt.... not sure on that.

they have the same keyway. but the predator doesnt have a stepped shaft, its 3/4 the whole thing. are you sure the tecumseh has a stepped shaft?

It's not stepped - I was thinking of the hub on the inner part of the clutch. And it is 3/4". Thank you!!!

Iron John

Reaction score
Picked up a $99 special Predator 212cc from HF today. Guess what? This engine does not equal the Tecumseh OHH60 that it would replace. The output shaft of the Predator is almost 3/4" shorter than the Tec.

This is a torpedo below the water line for my Yerf-Dof 3200, because there is no way to mount the clutch so that it aligns with the driven pulley. I can't move the motor over, either, beecause then the case would hit the chain running from the jackshaft to the main sprocket.

So tomorrow, the Predator goes back and I guess I will just have to tear into the Tec to find out why it no longer has any compression.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
You add the same spacer that was behind your clutch on the Tecumseh. End result? Your second half of the clutch is held on by 1/4" of the shaft, its a solid hub, it is more than strong enough to hold up on the shaft. You'll just need a longer bolt, that's all.

The Tecumseh engine you have with the longer shaft was a special order by Flexible Flyer, no other company even bothered.

Iron John

Reaction score
Really? It seemed scary to have that much 'air' under the clutch center hub. And I had thoughts of a longer bolt snapping off.

Well, I guess then I can use this motor. Thank you for the info as I was very hesitant to put it together with the clutch seemingly all cantilevered out (did not know that the long Tec shaft was a one-off).

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
The driven is only held on by around 6-8mm on my gx160, it is fine as long as the bolt is torqued.

Iron John

Reaction score
By all means get a good bolt. Grade 5 or higher.

Done and done. I put it together tonight. Mounted the motor, and it lined up to the belt and pulleys quite nicely. Modified the throttle linkage to work with the stock Yerf cable. Blue Loctite on the clutch bolt. Clocked the recoil starter so that the handle faces the rear.

Filled with oil and added a pint of gas. It started on the first pull.

Ran smoothly - I am breaking it in with the wheels off the ground so that I can vary the rpm with little load on the motor.

So far so good. Still have to connect the remote kill switch.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Done and done. I put it together tonight. Mounted the motor, and it lined up to the belt and pulleys quite nicely. Modified the throttle linkage to work with the stock Yerf cable. Blue Loctite on the clutch bolt. Clocked the recoil starter so that the handle faces the rear.

Filled with oil and added a pint of gas. It started on the first pull.

Ran smoothly - I am breaking it in with the wheels off the ground so that I can vary the rpm with little load on the motor.

So far so good. Still have to connect the remote kill switch.

Its great to get something fixed with no problems. Well done

Status
Not open for further replies.