TC drive sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
My kart is made with a car differential. So the gearing is much lower. I'm trying to find a 17 tooth or 16 tooth drive sprocket to put on my torque converter so it will go 25 to 30 mph instead of its 12 to 15 right now. Any help is much appreciated.
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Ok, I'll post pics, but I haven't takin pictures of the TC I installed. But you can get the idea with the centrifugal clutch still installed....here ya go
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
well, in fact ... No that didn't help at all :D

That's exactly the point, what TC is installed, what jackshaft does the sprocket have to fit,
is it on the same end as the driven, or on the opposite end.. etc.

that's all easier to determine with pics, and the reason I asked.


Oh, and judging by the pic and that a car axle itself isn't exactly the lightest diff you could find for a go kart...
I hope this is a 13-16hp engine, otherwise you might struggle to hit 20mph, no matter what gearing you drop in.

'sid
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Oh, and I have the 6.5 hp predator. This thing gets up to speed FAST! But only goes 12 to 15 mph. But believe me when I say it gets there in a hurry. So I'm hoping just changing the sprocket on the drive pulley on the torque converter from a 10 to a 16 or 17 tooth would greatly increase the speed.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
do you happen to know the ratio of the diff you're using?

Since I seriously doubt that it will move at all if you install a 16T TC sprocket
that would nearly cancel out the tc-> diff reduction from now 2.3:1 to then only 1.4:1...
the internal diff reduction must be larger than 5:1 to cope with that.
And frankly I believe it's smaller than 4:1 (closer to three to one actually)

IDK since I can't identify the diff, but with the assumed weight and the wheelsize...
it's likely that you don't reach speed because you don't have the power to do so.

keep in mind, that the TC shifts only if the engine has the power to do so;
otherwise it'll be stuck in low gear providing torque, not speed ;)

'sid
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Well, I had a centrifugal clutch on there and it was an 11 tooth and the sprocket on the diff is a 23 tooth. According to the math, with the wheel size and speed of motor. That kart should be going 100mph. (i put in the specs on a site and it gave me my speed) I have 20" tires.
So to be honost, I do not know the gearing for the diff...
 

colestreasures

New member
Messages
465
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
Well i have never seen anything like that before, i don't even see how that centrifugal clutch can handle turning all that. :popcorn:
Cole
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
I had a friend look at it, says it might be a 5:1 differential. Only guesses considing he didn't take the plate off.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
if it IS 5:1 then you should be going 20 mph on 20" wheels.. if you're NOT, then it lacks power

if it lacks power, you can't install a bigger TC sprocket or you'll be ending up with an even slower kart.
you will only loose acceleration

if you misread your speedometer and you reach 20mph... and it IS a 5:1, then you should be able to install a 14T TC sprocket (not more I'd say)
which would result in ~30mph

I still don't know the weight of that contraption nor the diffs ratio of course;
so these are just guesses...

but even a 5:1 diff would not explain your current top speed of only 15mph ...
sooo lack of power is still my best guess for now I'm afraid.

'sid
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,999
Reaction score
8,508
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
That looks like a ez go golf cart rear. I believe they are around 6:1, it's been years since I had the cover off of one.

Denny
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
ez go.. then it'd be a dana diff, correct?

If that's the case, there should be a ratio marking on the bottom edge ;)

'sid

[EDIT]
it just dawned on me... a 6.5HP??

does that mean you have a series30 TAV2 Kit??

If so, I'm afraid this will get very expensive very fast!

what you need is a 5/8" bore Type C sprocket with a keyway.
The only ones I KNOW ready for use are the original comet ones (10T for #40 and 12T for #35 chain)
Azusa offers type C engine sprockets with the same bore (IDK if they fit perfectly, depends on the width) but only up to 12 Teeth!

Sooo the only option that's left is find a blanket (say from http://www.linngear.com/part-type/c/)
and have it machined for your TC, and that's not actually a cheap thing to do I guess...

with a series 40 TC or a series 30 with a home made jackshaft you might be able to use a B-Type sprocket if your jackshaft is set up for it.
that's much cheaper to find.

Oh.. may I ask why not change the sprocket on the differential? I have the feeling that'd be easier altogether...
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
I thought about the sprocket at the differential, but then I thought, I shouldn't go too small or it might break under load....so I figured why not change tc sprocket 😓
 
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Here are some pictures
 

Attachments

  • 20150713_205358.jpg
    20150713_205358.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20150713_205422.jpg
    20150713_205422.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20150713_205415.jpg
    20150713_205415.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top