TAV30 lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
I've been looking into a lube schedule for the TAV30 I run on the bike. Some people are saying it must stay dry, others suggest lube on the inner clutch faces & hub driver.

I run in very dry, dusty conditions most of the time (Tucson, off the pavement) & am wondering what other people do to keep things running smoothly & prevent problems. I'm leaning toward a very light lube after cleaning, since the clutch faces came with a bit of lube on them when I got it. Thanks, tim

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
The belt contacting surfaces (sheaves) must remain free of any form of lubrication.
Ideally clean and dry as well.

The one part that requires lube is the INSIDE of the drivers bell only.
(where the weights sit)
he weight contacting surfaces require to be again kept as clean and dry as well.
but also to be dry lubed (graphite spray lubricant)
only to allow the weights to slide as freely and easily as possible.

The belt surfaces again MUST stay free of lubrication, the belt must make good physical non slipping contact, since that's the single most crucial power transmitting part.
(if it is allowed to slip, it means you have no power on your wheel any longer, the belt will get hot and burn out and you'll need to buy a new one)

'sid

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
OK, thanks & appreciate the input guys. Wondering what was on the inside of the faces from the factory. I did clean the entire assembly with carb cleaner, then used a very light coating of grease on the inner faces & hub driver. When I say light, I mean it, barely there. The last thing I want is some grease migrating into the belt drive area or on the belt itself.

If this is a "Bad Idea" I'll just buy a good belt (still running with the factory one & it's in good shape as of today) & degrease the whole thing again. Wondering why there's any lube from the factory, if it isn't recommended or needed. It's a lot quieter now that it's cleaned & lubed a little. I was thinking that it's just the expansion of the center section pushing against the plate which activates the power transfer to the belt, not a friction-type centrifugal clutch like a regular one on a go kart or what was originally on the Baja. If it screws things up, I'll let everyone know in this thread....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondering why there's any lube from the factory, if it isn't recommended or needed.
not lube, just rust protection really.
(wipes off really easily with just a dry cloth.. and leaves a "squeaking" surface)

That is if you do have indeed a fresh TC,
some stupid idiot might have gotten it before greased it
and sent it back for it not working properly for a refund.
And that is what you ended up getting afterwards.
IDK ;)

'sid

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
"That is if you do have indeed a fresh TC,
some stupid idiot might have gotten it before greased it
and sent it back for it not working properly for a refund.
And that is what you ended up getting afterwards.
IDK"

Gee Sid, don't sugar coat it, tell me what you really think!

It's worked very well out of the box. There were no marks on it in any of the bolt holes from installation or use that I could see. All surfaces shiny, plated & bright, which you would expect from a new POS cheap TAV from china. After taking it apart today, the wear surfaces which the belt rides on are now showing a bit of use, but not anything you wouldn't expect. No gouges, heat distortion or discoloration & the belt still looks good, is wearing evenly & shows no burn marks or fraying. At 47 mph with the stock 212 motor, I'm pleased with what it's doing now. Best, tim

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Trust me, I would ;)

If you opened up one or two amazon packages with broken, misassembled and missing parts,
you get a strong hunch that people make stupid things and ask for refunds thereafter :(

Ah well, nevermind.

With a surrounding like that I guess you're used to tighter maintenance cycles anyways.
If you take care of the TC it'll serve you well, even the chinese clone
(frankly I only remember one complaint about one)

With your next maintenance just leave the grease off the sheaves and see if that has any adverse effect for you; if not keep it that way ;)

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.