TAO 2013 107cc 3 speed clutch/transmission

Brohornn

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2013 TAO 107 cc chain driven Chinese go kart with a 3 speed manual transmission. I have changed the engine oil, cleaned the carburetor, but the clutch is slipping at about half throttle or more. RPMs increase, but it slows down at about half throttle or more. Cannot seem to find any information on this three speed model. Does it take a separate oil from the engine oil in the transmission? Wondering if the transmission oil could be low or old? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0089.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Got any better engine pictures? If it is a CT70 variant the engine oil is the transmission oil. But it may just be a worn out clutch that needs replacing. Beyond the scope of this board.

Brohornn

Reaction score
This is all I have currently. I started tearing it apart last night. I believe it does take transmission fluid. It looks like it is leaking out of the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    993.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
The clutch adjustment is on the other side cover, on the other side of the engine.

You should see a lock nut and a slotted screw.

Hold the slotted screw while unlocking the lock nut.

Turn screw counterclockwise til you feel some slight resistance, then turn it clockwise 1/4 turn.

Hold the screw while you lock the nut bak down.

That engine takes 4 stroke motorcycle oil for wet clutches.

If somebody put the wrong oil in it, it's probably burnt the clutch up.

Brohornn

Reaction score
So there are two separate compartments of oil. I changed the motor oil the other day and it is still full. The drain plug for the oil compartment is a 17 mm plug on the bottom of the motor. I backed off a 14 mm plug last night and a rod and spring came out with it. I pulled the clutch apart and there is a gasket that seals it. There is a filler plug on the top. I put the oil inside to see if it would drain out of the 14 mm drain plug. It did and so I tried to fill it up but the oil was leaking out of the gasket. I’m going to pull the motor today and put a new gasket on it if nothing is cracked or broken. In the picture the fill hole is on the top, there is a window of some sort on the side and the arrow on the bottom is where it was leaking from. I could not find the amount of oil to put in there, so I am going to remove the big window on the side and fill it up to the bottom of that. I can’t Remember the exact number but someone said to use 75-90 or something of the sort for the transmission oil.

If I am not mistaken. This is an electric clutch.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 7

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
@Brohornn
Those plugs you have marked with arrows, have nothing to do with oil fill or oil level. They are sight plugs for setting cam timing and valve lash.

You are looking at the flywheel and stator.

If that clutch is not already ruined, then that 75w90 gear oil will definitely help it get there.

Please don't use that.

Your clutch parts are on the other side of the engine, along with the oil fill plug/dipstick and maybe a sight glass for oil level.

20231019_095554.jpg

Last edited:

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
The picture you provided, my go kart does not have that
Ok.
You show us what you do have on the CLUTCH side.

Some of the Chinese engines didn't have that adjustment, some had a cover over it.

Some of the single speed (forward only) had that adjustment screw but that clutch cannot be adjusted from the outside, its a dummy screw.

That clutch cover fit a bunch of those engines, theres no telling which cover they used for that particular vehicle.

Honda's, which is from Japan, have that adjustment screw.

Brohornn

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much! I just associated the clutch being near the chain and sprocket. I initially thought that was an electric clutch rather than the Spader.

What weight oil should I put in the case that contains the flywheel and components?

is it OK to remove the hose coming from the motor to the air filter? I have heard that the hose needs the vacuum from the carburetor, and I have also heard that the hose is just for emissions and is blowing hot air back into the carburetor.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Absolutely no oil goes where the flywheel and magneto are!!
😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆
He's on to something now!!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much! I just associated the clutch being near the chain and sprocket. I initially thought that was an electric clutch rather than the Spader.

What weight oil should I put in the case that contains the flywheel and components?

is it OK to remove the hose coming from the motor to the air filter? I have heard that the hose needs the vacuum from the carburetor, and I have also heard that the hose is just for emissions and is blowing hot air back into the carburetor.
That's a crankcase vent hose. Keep it hooked to the air filter/box. You will never notice the hot air, they been running them like that for probably 60+ yrs now.

Brohornn

Reaction score
Does the timing chain not get oiled? This cover had an old gasket when I pulled it off. I’m about to put another gasket on here unless you have any objections.

Also, is this metal piece aftermarket? It looks like a small piece of galvanized metal someone put on here as a dust cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0239.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Brohornn

Reaction score
It also has this small drain hole thing. So why use a gasket and seal this compartment up unless it’s just to keep it clean?
Does the timing chain not get oiled? This cover had an old gasket when I pulled it off. I’m about to put another gasket on here unless you have any objections.

Also, is this metal piece aftermarket? It looks like a small piece of galvanized metal someone put on here as a dust cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The cover is to just keep it clean, gasket it! That is not the timing chain, it’s for the starter. I have no idea about the sheet metal cover, unless it was to replace a missing rubber plug? I’m more into the yard karts than the modern buggies. I’m going off my CT70 days in the 70s.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Denny is right. Starter chain, no oil.
If you have a gasket, put it on, if not you can put silicon or permatex on it if you like. It more a dust cover to keep dirt and grime out.

That's not a drain hole, it's a dowel pin to line the cover up while you fasten the bolts back in. So the stator and pick up coil stays where they suppose to be.

That sheet metal is there because somebody broke a chain, or was running too loose a chain and it broke that cover. So they TRIED to fix it. It's not the best fix, but I've seen worse. Put it back on and let it be.