Tallest tire for 6” rim?

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
My mini moto 80needs new tires but could benefit with a taller ones at the same time. I was thinking about swapping to a taller wheel since there is a lot of room but not sure how big of a pain in the butt that will be.
Anyone put taller tires on their MM80?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
This link has a chart so you can get a theoretical measure of how tall a given tire would be...............

6" Studded or Knobby Tires for Go Karts & Mini Bikes | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

First tire on page as an example, a 4.10 x 3.50 x 6 tire, by the chart would be 4.1" wide on a 6" rim, and the height would be the section height of 3.5" times 2 plus the 6" rim gives a theoretical tire height of 13". I can tell you that a super heavy gokart makes those just a bit more than 12" tall, while a minimoto would likely make them almost 13" tall.
Just measure your maximum possible clearances (figuring for suspension's compression) for height and width of tires, and look up tires that fit your rim size. Piece of pie, easy as cake.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Thanks, my mini moto has 145/70-6 tires and after seeing some places list actual height/width I was curious if anyone knew off the top of their head the tallest tire. After looking more it looks like a 15x5-6 is the tallest. The mini is a bit of a wheelie machine and with a buddy putting a new 6.6 predator and TAV on his Coleman CT200 I’m looking for more speed to keep up with him.
The plan is replace the flat tires with something taller to maybe help it not look so tiny.
Move rear wheel to the back of the frame to help with wheelies.
6.6 predator and TAV if I can get it to fit
Pick the right sprockets or maybe get a couple different ones to try
Maybe stretch the frame to fit my 6’ body and give more room for the motor

karl

Reaction score
For the stock 6in rims 15in is the limit to my knowledge.

I fitted 8in rims with 16x6.50x8 tires, only had to space the front fender up (broke off in pic)
And with 8in rims many bigger tire options are available.

Please post your results!

Attachments

• 20211002_192605.jpg
    20211002_192605.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 6

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Nice Karl! Are those golf kart wheels? When I look for 8” wheels for a disc brake I only find ones like this
Which is to wide, I could try narrowing it but would rather try on a cheaper used one if I could find one to practice on

karl

Reaction score
Thanks! The rims are from the front of a scrapped cub cadet garden tractor.

I cut a chuck of the center tube out of a rim, and welded it to
another rim to space the bearing on one side farther out. and welded a
4 lug flange on it. The 1 3/4 x 3/4 bearings should last a lifetime.

Look around, might be able to find something local and cheap!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I also switched from 6" to 8" rims for current kart to get taller tires (changed from 12" to 16"). Used Craigslist for first time ever, found 8" golf cart rims with wide tires locally, a full set for $40, and a full set of 8" rims with narrow tires for same. All I had to do after that was order some 4 x 4 (4 bolts on 4" bolt circle) wheel hubs from gokart parts supplier to fit my 1" rear axle and 3/4" front spindles.
Galvanize 4 x 4 Wheel Hub (1" Bore) | K260050 | BMI Karts And Parts