Tack for Duromax 440

Big Bob

Reaction score
I have tried a couple of those little cheapy tacks off amazon that did not work well. I got an Eqqus tack which uses an inductive pickup on the plug wire. It works poorly. RPM all up and down. I think the pickup is bad, I ordered a new one. The tach comes with 2 cable options, The inductive and it has a direct cable that would hook to the negative side of a ignition coil. Just wondering if I could hook that to the kill switch wire? Probably blow up the tach! But wondering.

Rat

Reaction score
I have tried a couple of those little cheapy tacks off amazon that did not work well. I got an Eqqus tack which uses an inductive pickup on the plug wire. It works poorly. RPM all up and down. I think the pickup is bad, I ordered a new one. The tach comes with 2 cable options, The inductive and it has a direct cable that would hook to the negative side of a ignition coil. Just wondering if I could hook that to the kill switch wire? Probably blow up the tach! But wondering.
If there is a 12v supply I recommend the Runleader RL-HM035L
and the Runleader RL-HM035LE (if you need/want head temp monitoring)

Induction wire tachs and can be a little buggy until you get the coils wrapped tight in just the right spot.
I find adding some layers of shrink insulation to any unused induction wire length helps as does keeping the loops mid HT or at the very least away from the plug... they seem to pick up a fair bit of noise from the head and plug

Big Bob

Reaction score
If there is a 12v supply I recommend the Runleader RL-HM035L
and the Runleader RL-HM035LE (if you need/want head temp monitoring)

Induction wire tachs and can be a little buggy until you get the coils wrapped tight in just the right spot.
I find adding some layers of shrink insulation to any unused induction wire length helps as does keeping the loops mid HT or at the very least away from the plug... they seem to pick up a fair bit of noise from the head and plug
Thanks. I sort of think the induction wire should be covered to protect it. Maybe I’ll spilt some vinyl tube and put the wire in it. The problem I have with the little Amazon tachs is the wire is way too short. I need like a 8’ cable. It’s on a 6 passenger golf cart.

Big Bob

Reaction score
I’ve tried a couple of the Amazon tachs when the 440 was on my go kart. Never worked right.

Rat

Reaction score
I've never had issues with the RL-HM035L or RL-HM035LE beyond I did have one short out but there were contributing factors to that.

I've used them with Delco spiral core, so I'm pretty sure the HT type is irrelevant as long as you get the could tight and they stay tight.

You don't want the induction coils covered any more than they are, but any excess length won't hurt to jacket to reduce emf noise that will make them read funny.

I don't like zip tying them, so I usually cut a ring of shrink wrap insulation for each end of the wraps and then put one over the whole thing to protect against knicks and emf

Big Bob

Reaction score
Thanks. I can’t put heat shrink on the Equus cable unless it was like 1/2” I’d. It has a plug on one end that attaches the cable to the tach and the other end has the induction clamp deal which is huge.

Rat

Reaction score
Thanks. I can’t put heat shrink on the Equus cable unless it was like 1/2” I’d. It has a plug on one end that attaches the cable to the tach and the other end has the induction clamp deal which is huge.
Oh I haven't seen them with an induction clamp... just a wire you wrap 8-10 passes around the HT

Big Bob

Reaction score
I’ve done that wire wrap thing and never got it close. LOL. What is HT?

Big Bob

Reaction score
This is what it looks like. Small plug goes in the tach. Clamp on the coil wire. My golf cart is a 6 passenger model so it’s long. My tach is mounted in the dash. I have maybe 8” of slack to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpeg
    IMG_3326.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

Big Bob

Reaction score
I read someplace where a guy wrapped the wire in aluminum foil to shield it.

Big Bob

Reaction score
This unit is supposed to be good. And comes with a long cable.

Attachments

• IMG_3327.jpeg
    IMG_3327.jpeg
    887.3 KB · Views: 1

Rat

Reaction score
I wonder how long the cable is? Most are 5’-6’. I need a solid 8’ long.
Well I know you can extend the Runleader lines if needed because they have a plug in the line so you don't have to deal with the spun wires. It would just be a matter of matching the gauge and splicing onto the induction wire and making sure to shield it because it's a fairly tiny gauge (maybe 24 AWG ± a size)

I included the manufacturers links so you can make your own judgment call, for a Limo of a golf cart you're not going to have many straight from the box options