Tachometer options

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I want a tach for my doodlebug. The tach will be on either a 5hp flathead or a 6.5 clone. What are my options? I dont have 300 bucks for a tach. I also dont want one that is slow to update the readings. Will a tach for a car work? Like one from autozone. How are the tachs usually hooked up, one wire to the spark plug, a ground, and one to the unit itself? Cant wait to see my options

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
the car tachs are to be used with minimum 4 cylinders... other than that the readings would be falsed... there is the "tinytach" but as you said he is slow to update the readings...

yeah tach are hooked to the spark plug and ground...

so basically a digital slow updating rpm/houmeter is probably your only option...

search "rpm hourmeter" on ebay ... should show you some tachs...

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Or you can buy a cable driven tach and rig that up, most have a 2:1 drive ratio. heres one pretty cheap, prolly wont be the easiest to hook up, but with some ingenuity im sure it would work.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I mean, how does the cable get hooked to the crank? Wrapped around? I just dont get how the cable can be hooked to a moving part, wouldnt it just get wound up?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
oh, gotcha, its not that type of cable. I guess you have never seen a speedometer cable. A speedometer cable is basically a long flexible rod that spins inside a housing. heres a picture, the rod normally has square or hex ends that will insert into the speedometer.

t0x1k

Vroom
Reaction score
I mean, how does the cable get hooked to the crank? Wrapped around? I just dont get how the cable can be hooked to a moving part, wouldnt it just get wound up?

A lot of motorcycles do it this way for both tach and speedometer. I think it's centrifugal force that causes the needle move. Im not sure, i'm talking out my ***.

BriggsTwins

Reaction score
Ive been wondering this for sometime now. I was planning on using one for my twin, it will need a filter cap or a small resistor somewhere to help reduce the interference and it might help in controlling a 4cyl tack on 2. still i havent found one for free yet so havent bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.