• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Swapping car engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i had to remove mine. its not that hard IIRC it was only 4 bolts.

you're supposed to wak the knuckle really hard and the ball joint just falls apart... sometimes

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Haha, I hit it, and my hammer pretty much was on the virge of breaking. There are dent marks in the METAL part!

Anywho... I'm leaving for our other house early tomorrow morning. Coming back next thursday. If I can remember, I'll bring my digital cam and adapter and snap a few pictures.

Yeah, 4 bolts... but then mine are stuck. I couldn't get them out, even with that $90 torque wrench haha! I'll have to try again!

Pandemoniac

Reaction score
If possible try to avoid using a torque wrench for busting off stuck bolts and stuff, they can get out of whack if yanked on a whole bunch. Just get a big cheap breaker bar.
How's it coming along at this point?

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Ehh... going back to work on it next Thursay. (Actually, this thursday).

I found another whole wireharness *DOH* and I'll need to get the 2 crossmembers down (impact wrench), get the rear mount off, then below the power steering hoses is another mount I have to get off...

Dang... I feel sorry for mechanics lol.

Pandemoniac

Reaction score
As fun as it sounds don't become a go kart mechanic at a concession kart track. (that's my job) You'll never get filthier than there and the pay is crap. Plus you need all your own tools, but that's most mechanics for ya.

Pandemoniac

Reaction score
About 10 go karts break every day out of the 75 or so we have so we're always busy. They're run as much as 16 hours a day so parts wear out quick, idiot kids won't stop spinning people out which breaks more things. The filth the go karts collect is mind boggling. Idiot kids also constantly try to "rev" the karts in the pit, even honda's 3-disc wet clutches can't handle that for long so they burn up, the 1st warning is when it melts the clutch dipstick right off.
Anyyways crap gets old quick there!

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Haha nice job! :D

Well some... OK news. 2 more bolts n' the engine is HOPEFULLY free.

Removed the shift linkage, then found 2 more hoses... then disconnected the TPS. When I 1/2 removed the tranny mount, the whole thing shifted downwards! :D

Good news for me. It's coming loose. Looking back, this wasn't so hard after all. Just majorly time consuming.

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Reaction score
....Just majorly time consuming.

Yup, especialy your first time. How long did it take you do un-do the shifter linkage? I was taking a steering column out of an s10 on Sunday, what a PITA to get at! Rear of the engine compartment, behind the head, and down about 3 inches. Then it wouldn't come apart (nasty c-clip in there). WTF? It took me half an hour...:rolleyes3:

Last edited:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
It took me 5-10 minutes lol... 2 bolts. Right in the front of the engine. You don't even need to remove anything. Not even the radiator really. That's why I love Camrys :)

I found the fuel rail lol... Now I just need to buy 4 more sets of 1/2" drive extensions, and I can get that **** rear mount out haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.