Suspension Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-BONE

Reaction score
I noticed on most home made carts even off road ones have no suspension. Is there a reason, to difficult or something? How would you go about putting suspension on a home made cart(not built yet)?

AutoMX

Reaction score
it's not that "difficult" to make suspension stuff but it generally needs welding and more money. its kinda tricky if you add independent suspension to the drive wheels since you need to get the drive to the wheels and cant use a simple solid shaft.
also shocks add $$ to the build, as to bushings and balljoints and tie rods ends if you build it heavy duty like me.

alot of people here try to avoid welding since they dont weld themselves.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Big balloon tires and some real simple suspension on the front end is all I have, rides pretty rough when you geta air but is otherwise OK, the whole completely unbalanced stock engine that makes it hard to see if you lean on the headrest cant be helping how it feels either.

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Reaction score
On my Manco they put springs in the front, kinda bouncy but it's a decent ride. Most don't have suspension because there are three main functions of a kart; it must be fun, fast, and cheap. So most don't bother and in most cases it isn't needed.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
On my Manco they put springs in the front, kinda bouncy but it's a decent ride. Most don't have suspension because there are three main functions of a kart; it must be fun, fast, and cheap. So most don't bother and in most cases it isn't needed.

Yea, the whatchamacallits that the front axle things spin on for steering are too short for the pins they spin on and springs take up most of the slack creating a crude but functional suspension system.

risto

...watches you sleep.
Reaction score
for me, it was too much money, time, trouble, and worry. I dont have suspension on either of my off road karts, and they are still FUN.

its all about what you prefer: a fatter wallet, or a smoother ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.