Suggested Gear Ratios for various setups

Status
Not open for further replies.

South Kart3377

Kart designer
Reaction score
So many people on here ask for gearing. So here you go-
DISCLAIMER: WARNING This chart was made with 16 INCH TIRES DO NOT USE WITHOUT ADJUSTMENT IF YOUR KART WILL AND/OR DOES HAVE LARGER THAN 16 INCHES!

STOCK IS DEFINED AS 200 POUND KART, 150 POUND ME AND 16 INCH TIRES!

5 HP Stock Gearing Chart
TC /Cen Clutch
Off-Roading 6:1, 7:1 / 8:1-14:1
Yard riding 5:1, 6:1 / 7:1-12:1
Flat Riding 4.5:1- 7:1/ 5:1-7:1

6-7 HP Stock Gearing Chart
TC / Cen Clutch
Off-Roading 5.7:1- 7:1 / 7:1-14:1
Yard riding 4.7:1-6:1 / 6.5:1-12:1
Flat Riding 4.4:1- 7:1 / 6.4:1-7:1

7.1- HP Stock Gearing Chart
TC / Cen Clutch
Off-Roading 5.5:1-7:1 / 7:1-14:1
Yard riding 4.5:1-6:1 / 6:1-12:1
Flat Riding 4.3:1- 7:1 / 4.7:1-7:1

Alright Now Newbie's I will just post a link to this page if any more gearing Questions arise. Moderaters Improve if needed.
Edit: Credit goes to Landuse and the my own experiments.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Done.

But before we rubber-stamp this, there are a few questions. Where did this chart come from? Credit where credit is due. Got a link?

"Stock" gearing? Stock for which kart(s)?

I would also like to add that these ranges may cover the ballpark, but there are so many individual variables that there just is no substitute for a calculator.

South Kart3377

Kart designer
Reaction score
Done.

But before we rubber-stamp this, there are a few questions. Where did this chart come from? Credit where credit is due. Got a link?

"Stock" gearing? Stock for which kart(s)?

I would also like to add that these ranges may cover the ballpark, but there are so many individual variables that there just is no substitute for a calculator.

Stock with a 200 pound kart, I made the chart.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: Credit goes to Landuse...........

Wow. I AM FAMOUS. Please take everything I say with a pich of salt. I have learned everything I know from this forum, and nowhere else. I was a total noob before I started reading all the posts here. I still am. All I can do is repeat what people have said here already.

With that said, thanks for the credit

Edit: I have also added this thread to the Helpful Links Sticky

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Those values seem reasonable.
I wonder if I could make a simple excel calculator which could change the variables, and you could enter different wheel size and weight, and the variables included in this thread.
I dunno if I could link it to the forum though.

souperman000

Reaction score
Wow. I AM FAMOUS. Please take everything I say with a pich of salt. I have learned everything I know from this forum, and nowhere else. I was a total noob before I started reading all the posts here. I still am. All I can do is repeat what people have said here already.

Wow. I never would have guessed that you were a total noob before. I too have learned everything from this forum and have been able to teach other people better and sound smart..lol

Thanks Guys

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Those values seem reasonable.
I wonder if I could make a simple excel calculator which could change the variables, and you could enter different wheel size and weight, and the variables included in this thread.
I dunno if I could link it to the forum though.

Actually, I do use an Excel-based calculator. For the amount of times I figure ratios for myself and others, it's waaay too much work to do it manually! :roflol:

To be fair, may calc does not factor in weight or purpose. That's up to my own discretion. However, I have altered it to include the possibilities of extra gearboxes (like a RAGB that may not be 1:1) and the primary redux ratio if you are using a motorcycle engine/tranny.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Wow! I would rather work it out on a calculator in 3 seconds...
Toystory- do you think you could get your calculator to work on the site?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Wow! I would rather work it out on a calculator in 3 seconds...
Toystory- do you think you could get your calculator to work on the site?

I don't know... Since it's an Excel spreadsheet, I think users would have to download it. I can talk to Robert about making it available for download from the site, but I have to finish revamping it. I swiped it from another site somewhere (I don't remember where) and modified it with the additional calculation ability. Since it still resembles the original somewhat, I need to make it "mine" before I republish it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Without putting in a tire size all that information is useless and could misguide the people it is directed towards (inexperienced kart builders). someone may be trying to use 25" atv tires for their off road kart, and see your chart and decide to gear it 8:1 with their centrifugal clutch. which obviously would not end well.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Without putting in a tire size all that information is useless and could misguide the people it is directed towards (inexperienced kart builders). someone may be trying to use 25" atv tires for their off road kart, and see your chart and decide to gear it 8:1 with their centrifugal clutch. which obviously would not end well.

I agree that there are so many variable to the equation, but maybe we could put a disclaimer on the values stating that tyre size is not factored in???

Status
Not open for further replies.