Subaru 6.5 Idle Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
I have boiled & cleaned this carb but it doesn't like to idle. It may idle for 10 seconds or so, then dies. Can someone who knows these Subaru engines tell me what the screw on the top of the carb is for? It doesn't have a spring under it so I think it should be screwed in all the way. I have attached a picture with a circle around the screw in question.
 

Attachments

  • carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 16

RetiredCop

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Fayette County, Indiana
Subaru Carb Question

qtband,

This question is off topic on your current thread and problem, but some time back you broke the idle mixture screw off your Mikuni carburetor and were having difficulty finding a replacement.

I am in the same predicament with my granddaughter's Manco 425. While searching the web for help I found your original thread on the subject. I signed up to this forum so I could ask you about the item.

Did you find a replacement? If so, where and at what cost?

Thanks,

Tom
:oops:
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
385
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
If Robin Subaru cant special order a carb part, you could try contacting one of the Mikuni carb distributors for parts. (just tell-em your Mikuni carb number when you call/email)

Here's a link to the US and Canada Mikuni distributors: http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html
I'd contact one of the distributors that say "All" on the right side of that page.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
I believe that is the pilot jet, if you haven't cleaned it yet I definitely would, it could be contributing to the bad idle. You are correct in thinking it should be screwed all the way in.
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
I received this message from a Subaru Guru:
Please contact Mr. Brad Murphy @ Robin America Inc, Mr. Murphy’s the Chief Vice President COO of Robin America/Subaru, tell him your problems he’s a great guy and is very educated on what he sells.

bmurphy@robinamerica.com
 

Swabbster

New member
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
it may be an issue with the valve clearance, the engine more than likely has a plastic cam that wears out over time and you will need to adjust the valves, as year round maintenance,
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
it may be an issue with the valve clearance, the engine more than likely has a plastic cam that wears out over time and you will need to adjust the valves, as year round maintenance,

:confused: I'm thinking you mean cam gear, right? I've seen alot of plastic gears, but never a plastic camshaft. Not saying it can't be done, its just that plastics that can hold up in that app. cost more than making it out of steel. :thumbsup:
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
I highly doubt the cam is plastic, these engines are high quality machines. The EX engines are also SOHC engines so they have timing chains, and sprockets, NOT gears and push rods like you average OHV engine. At most the sprocket on the crank might be plastic, but I don't think so.

Read up on the EX engines and you will see why I like them so much! Note their EFI engine and the 5 year warranty. http://www.robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=8

Anyone looking to buy one can purchase some models brand new off ebay for very reasonable prices.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top