stuborn pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmytim

Reaction score
I have a 4hp bs flatty that has a pulley on the drive shaft. I have done everything to try to get the dang thing off. It has a set screw with a stripped out head so I attempted to drill the screw out.Also I have used a torch and heated it up but pulley will not budge!:2guns: I was wondering if anyone would have suggestion on how to remove it?:confused:

frederic

The Junk Man
Reaction score
Any kind of pulley/steering puller with "jaws" that can reach around behind the pulley will work fine in removing your stubborn pulley.

If you don't ahve a jaw type pulley puller but instead have the bolt-through kind, you can drill two or three holes in the face of the pulley to put the long bolts through.

I've attached a picture of an example of a "pull through" pulley puller, often used for removing automobile steering wheels. As you can see they work well for other purposes as well.

BTW, when I removed the other wheel off the transaxle, I had to heat the wheel hub to a dark red state with an oxy-acetelyne torch - it was that stuck. Four heat cycles and almost 2/3 of a can of PB blaster, and about 200 ft-lbs of torque (iimpact gun) on the pulley puller in the below picture.

Finally, it broke free.

Attachments

• elec-truck-019.JPG
    elec-truck-019.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 8

timmytim

Reaction score
I went to autozone and picked up a pulley puller for that :furious2: pulley....After about an hour of working with the puller it finally broke free....
:cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.