Street legal 670 trike

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to show you guys my newly-completed 670 project. This is version 2.0 of an existing trike I had they had a 250 Ninja motor in it. I only have a few miles on the trike right now but so far I am pleased with the 670 power so far. I am not new to Predator Motors but I have never owned a 670 before this project.

Attachments

• 20191207_151036.jpg
    20191207_151036.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191207_151228.jpg
    20191207_151228.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191207_151059.jpg
    20191207_151059.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191207_140841.jpg
    20191207_140841.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191207_140808.jpg
    20191207_140808.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 13

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Looks like you are using 2 axles in the rear with only 1 brake rotor and caliper, how well does it stop with that?

vegasboy

Reaction score
I haven't got the rear caliper hooked up to the master cylinder yet. However the front brake does a pretty decent job of stopping the whole thing. We'll see how decent it works after the rear gets put together.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
I plan on building a big wheel type thing with a old motorcycle front end and a live axle because they are cool i like your trike a lot it's interesting

vegasboy

Reaction score
Thanks budget. However if you drive your trike on the street and it is a live axle, you will likely have problems trying to turn the trike without the rear wheels pushing you straight forward. That is why I have a split axle. The reason the old three wheelers would work with a live axle is because the tires would slide across the top of the ground making it easier to turn with a one piece axle. If you're building a drift trike, the plastic pipe on the outside of the wheels create the same effect allowing you to have a one piece and still be able to turn with ease.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Thanks budget. However if you drive your trike on the street and it is a live axle, you will likely have problems trying to turn the trike without the rear wheels pushing you straight forward. That is why I have a split axle. The reason the old three wheelers would work with a live axle is because the tires would slide across the top of the ground making it easier to turn with a one piece axle. If you're building a drift trike, the plastic pipe on the outside of the wheels create the same effect allowing you to have a one piece and still be able to turn with ease.

My current axle is from a Montgomery ward and it has a differential I have to take some pictures

vegasboy

Reaction score
Please do take pics, I want to see what one of those differentials look like especially something that was vintage. I'm curious to know if it would hold up to a more modern higher horsepower motor?

vegasboy

Reaction score
The current top GPS speed is 61 miles per hour and that's with a 10 tooth clutch 48 tooth sprocket and 20 inch wheels. I think I'm going to look into getting 22 or 23 in tall tires on a slightly bigger rim. That way I know it'll go down the freeway without the motor being wound out.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Fortunately you can buy a lot of performance parts for the 670. So you could keep your current tire and wheel size (unless you want to get a more common size) and just modify the engine. Could do it for more mid to high end for better highway travel, or low to mid for more cruising around town.

vegasboy

Reaction score
It's not a power problem it's a gearing problem, I could buy a smaller sprocket and achieve the same goal. This motor has more than enough power to do what I needed to do. However I have the sprocket welded to the hub and the axle, so changing it would require a little more work then just bolting on a smaller sprocket. That's why I was looking into taller tires with slightly bigger rims then what I currently have on there. And most of the time when we've ever heavily modified the 420cc engines they usually didn't last nearly as long as a unmodified motor. However I did bypass the governor on the 670 to give me more RPMs.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Well that is the cost of modifying industrial engines. So what's the story of the Ninja 250 being replaced by the 670? A bike engine is generally a better option if it's not too cost prohibitive.

vegasboy

Reaction score
The 250 engine was maxed out for the weight of the trike and I, plus the radiator was behind the seat and it wouldn't get proper airflow I had to add a second fan. And the motor plus wiring and the general positioning was just not very clean. Here's what it used to look like

Attachments

• 20181014_170945.jpg
    20181014_170945.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 13

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That makes sense. Deeper gearing might have helped, but would have made the top end be a lot slower. Air ducts might have helped for cooling, but it would not have helped with the lack of power.

vegasboy

Reaction score
I thought about air ducts but eventually went with an extra fan. But even on the hottest Las Vegas days it just wasn't enough and the temperature readout would go up pretty high. The motor was enough to power the trike 70 miles per hour. That's why I love equipment Motors on motorcycles because I could sit in traffic all day and not overheat and I do not need to worry about air flow going down the road getting to the motor properly.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Please do take pics, I want to see what one of those differentials look like especially something that was vintage. I'm curious to know if it would hold up to a more modern higher horsepower motor?

Oops forgot again here's pics

Attachments

• 20191208_144916.jpg
    20191208_144916.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 8

vegasboy

Reaction score
How is that a differential? It just looks like it would be one wheel drive? Very odd-looking I've never seen this before

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
How is that a differential? It just looks like it would be one wheel drive? Very odd-looking I've never seen this before

It drives both wheels when going strait but i know that because it was used to do wheelies but it's meant for a lawn mower to take turns but not get stuck also it's a simple design that works well it's a very simple one I need to change the sprocket probably but it's gonna be geared for high speeds

vegasboy

Reaction score
Thanks landuse, it took forever to rebuild it do to saving up funds to get parts and just take my time to fix all of the issues I had with the first version so I did not have them with this version. Taking my time with this one paid off. It's a much simpler and much more Bulletproof then the last design.

Status
Not open for further replies.