Stratos GS Rebuild- Former Dromo 1 Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehansen007

Reaction score
What a great project. Took me about a month.

I picked it up from the barrio in El Monte. Trailer Park. Turned out to be an old Dromo 1 kart from the Anaheim facility. The frame is actually brazed together with Brass and I’ve never seen that before. I didn’t come with a Motor so I picked one up brand new with a 2-year warranty from Harbor Freight for $120. It’s a 6.5HP Honda Clone and the way it’s geared we clocked it at 32MPH yesterday.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
nice. was it originally belt driven? it looked like it. not sure if those 'welds' were done with brass filler rod. i've seen that color combo before. metal changes color with heat. it may simply be that that gave the filler it's color?

ehansen007

Reaction score
not sure if those 'welds' were done with brass filler rod. i've seen that color combo before. metal changes color with heat. it may simply be that that gave the filler it's color?

Nope, it's brass, I did some grinding on the welds and it was brazed not MIG'd or TIG'd. Pretty crazy. These things take a beating so they made them this way in the beginning. Then I think it cost too much so they went back to MIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.