Stop flipping pictures (please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron John

Reaction score
It seems that the Forum software automatically flips portrait photos to landscape.

This is quite annoying when posting pictures that are - correctly - portrait.

Would the Admins please look into disabling this feature.

Thanks!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
it's NOT the forumsoft.. it's your phone that does this.

the forumsoft depends solely on the orientation flag that's coded into the image.
So if you have "orientation disabled" and take a pic in portrait, chances are it's still flagged as landscape (since that's the DEFAULT orientation on a phone [as per the standards])
it's also quite possible that your device removes all flags from uploaded pics..
in which case you're screwed... sorry.

Oh in case you wonder.. bottom edge of your phone goes to the right otherwise pics can end up upside down.
but that way.. it's always displayed correctly. (no matter if flags are set or not)

And yes.. some software takes the EXIF orientation value to orient (0, 90, 180 or 270)
where 0 is portrait top edge up, 90 right edge up etc..
[nowadays it's 1-8 even for four rotations and mirrored versions of that to flip a pic with exif only]
but frankly.. that fails more often than not (at least on the internet).

'sid

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Well my pics work. I use an I phone 6. Take the pic, email it to myself. Download to my pic on on the laptop then upload to the site. Sometims 1 is 90° off. I can fix it in my Picture library and then repost it here correctly. I only go to the site from my laptop though, and it is my wifes phone so I delete the pics off the phone, and have them stored on the laptop. It is like a 6 step process!!!
I know totally archaic on my end... But it works!

Iron John

Reaction score
just take landscape photos... Hold your phone sideways.

Doesn't always work - that's why portrait orientation exists.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

it's NOT the forumsoft.. it's your phone that does this.

the forumsoft depends solely on the orientation flag that's coded into the image.
So if you have "orientation disabled" and take a pic in portrait, chances are it's still flagged as landscape (since that's the DEFAULT orientation on a phone [as per the standards])
it's also quite possible that your device removes all flags from uploaded pics..
in which case you're screwed... sorry.

Oh in case you wonder.. bottom edge of your phone goes to the right otherwise pics can end up upside down.
but that way.. it's always displayed correctly. (no matter if flags are set or not)

And yes.. some software takes the EXIF orientation value to orient (0, 90, 180 or 270)
where 0 is portrait top edge up, 90 right edge up etc..
[nowadays it's 1-8 even for four rotations and mirrored versions of that to flip a pic with exif only]
but frankly.. that fails more often than not (at least on the internet).

'sid

Interesting.

I do not load photos from my phone. I move them to a laptop first, and they portrait photos appear in the file manager as portrait. Once in a while, I use the file manager to rotate a photo if needed.

In the 'old' days here, if I loaded the photo directly from the iPhone, it was going to not show properly.

Once I started going to file manager and the laptop first, everything was fine. But recently - let's say within the last three months or so - the behavior changed.

When I commented about it in one of my threads here, someone replied that the Forum software does not like portrait views and changes everything to landscape.

I guess the confusing aspect of this is how I am doing things the same on my end but the Forum results are different. Would love to chase this down if it is not the Forum software - admins, can you confirm that the latest release of vBulletin does not have this feature switched on by default in one of the zillion menus?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Well my pics work. I use an I phone 6. Take the pic, email it to myself. Download to my pic on on the laptop then upload to the site. .....
I know totally archaic on my end... But it works!

hehe did that too with all the mailing and stuff...
but since my iPhone 4s... I use "Wifi Photo Transfer by voxeloid"
it's free on iTunes AppStore and works really well (I think it still is..)

I can even choose to download the image in a different resolution or multiple files at once (packed in a zip)

much more convenient than mailing the images to myself
(IMHO even easier than uploading them to a cloud and getting them there)

You need a wireless router though.. (oh and a webbrowser to access the images of course :D)

'sid

[EDIT]
OOps posted while typing huh?
I guess the confusing aspect of this is how I am doing things the same on my end but the Forum results are different. Would love to chase this down if it is not the Forum software - admins, can you confirm that the latest release of vBulletin does not have this feature switched on by default in one of the zillion menus?

Well, updated the software (or the OS) .. sometimes even the fricking graphics driver update can make such difference... (I know.. that's why I hate updates except for my anti virus that is ;))

What other people told you is just BS I'm afraid..
Correct: we do not like portrait pics as much (since our eyes are spread out sideways ;))
but the software behind that imagarey is a GDI php plugin.. and while it's able to flip, rotate and do all nasty stuff..
it doesn't rotate a pic because of it's aspect ratio (otherwise we'd end up with spinning quadratic pics ;))

Check the EXIF and orientation flags of your images yourself if you want:
best place imho to do so is this site:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

you'll soon see what flag/orientation is causing the issue I bet

'sid

Iron John

Reaction score
Here is a sample photo.

I took it in portrait on my phone. I moved it to my laptop and file manager shows the thumbnail or slide show view of the photo as portrait.

But uploaded here it gets flipped to landscape:

IMG_3741.jpg

The chain should be at the top.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Before my wife got the I6 we used an I4 and I had the same problem. Sometimes. But back then I was plugging the phone into the laptop and uploading to the laptop. I do not have the problem any more with emailing them, but it could be the better phone too. I really don't know Jack bone about computers. I had to learn new stuff just to use this Forum!

@sid I can also choose the pic resolution when emailing from the i6. I choose medium cause it is faster at the forum, and the email time.
The I phone 6 takes amazingly good Pictures!
Talk about Archaic? I use a flip phone as my "daily driver" and i like it!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
@sid I can also choose the pic resolution when emailing from the i6. I choose medium cause it is faster at the forum, and the email time.
The I phone 6 takes amazingly good Pictures!
Talk about Archaic? I use a flip phone as my "daily driver" and i like it!
I know, I know
that's what I use since my beloved 4s was bricked (thanks to a failed iOS software update) I was on iOS5.0 ever since ...
then accidentally hit the ota button and it tried to install 6.1.3 last year.

I don't like the iPhone 6 (iOS 9.0 in case you wonder :D)
as much as I liked my 4s (best phone they ever made...IMHO)

Anyways.. give that wireless transfer a try;
I bet you'll love it as much as I do (flicking through the album on the big screen alone is a huge benefit ;))

Oh John...
here's a portrait pic I took stripped from ALL Orientation info.
fr_1511.jpg
see? it's still in portrait, unaltered by the forum software!
(but resized, since it was 8Megapixels when uploaded [2,448 × 3,264 JPEG])

'sid

Iron John

Reaction score
I know, I know
that's what I use since my beloved 4s was bricked (thanks to a failed iOS software update) I was on iOS5.0 ever since ...
then accidentally hit the ota button and it tried to install 6.1.3 last year.

I don't like the iPhone 6 (iOS 9.0 in case you wonder :D)
as much as I liked my 4s (best phone they ever made...IMHO)

Anyways.. give that wireless transfer a try;
I bet you'll love it as much as I do (flicking through the album on the big screen alone is a huge benefit ;))

Oh John...
here's a portrait pic I took stripped from ALL Orientation info.
View attachment 72501
see? it's still in portrait, unaltered by the forum software!
(but resized, since it was huuuuge [2,448 × 3,264 JPEG (8.0 megapixels) when uploaded])

'sid

I'm also using an iPhone 6 and the OS is current.

What is the setting to automatically strip (or overwrite) the orientation flag?

BTW, I copy pix from my phone to my laptop (Win 10 Surface) with a cable.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I'm a simple minded guy with a simple Android phone....I don't have that problem....I hold my phone properly when taking photos.

I downloaded. 'Image Shrink Lite'....so if necessary I can rotate if necessary....but mainly...so I can downsize and load as thumbnails....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also using an iPhone 6 and the OS is current.

What is the setting to automatically strip (or overwrite) the orientation flag?

BTW, I copy pix from my phone to my laptop (Win 10 Surface) with a cable.

Stripping the metadata was done afterwards on the computer (on Windows 7 it's: rightclick image -> properties -> remove properties and personal info.. I hope it's still there in Win10)
for the sake of argument.

And since the cable cannot -not charge- my semi charged phone..
the phone only sees a cable when it's battery is down.
(and yes.. I checked it does make a difference after 1000 cycles)

You cannot turn on or off the orientation flag on any iOS device for all I know
(maybe there is a third party camera app that can.. but IDK)

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah....I'm a dinosaur in a Technological Era...but it just seems simple enough to me TAKE THE DADGUM PICTURES IN LANDSCAPE? ???

Or did I miss something????

Like the old joke goes: "Doc ...it hurts when I move my arm like this." "Don't move your arm like that!"

Attachments

• 14680797236390.jpg
    14680797236390.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
sure Doug.. in theory that's the easiest way.

Bad thing though with a phone there are two landscape options (bottom to the right or to the left)
And some do it the wrong way around so all pics end up upside down
(we've all seen that already)

At which point the topic is again relevant ;)

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Hold on now....kids...don't try this at home....rotating pictures is a dangerous endeavor...and I'm a professional idiot....

Attachments

• 14680802212000.jpg
    14680802212000.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • 14680805448700.jpg
    14680805448700.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 14680809155180.jpg
    14680809155180.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2
  • 14680814310640.jpg
    14680814310640.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
What I hate is when I try to rotate my phone to look at a sideways picture and then my phone flips the orientation again. Uggghhhh!!!!! That feature is cool so I don't lock it.

I usually hold my head at 45 degrees and the phone at 45 degrees. lol

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
What I hate is when I try to rotate my phone to look at a sideways picture and then my phone flips the orientation again. Uggghhhh!!!!! That feature is cool so I don't lock it.

I usually hold my head at 45 degrees and the phone at 45 degrees. lol

Wow...what kind of phone? I just touch the top of my screen and drag down...and it pulls up a multiple options....one of which is screen rotation....one click...

Still....it's like ....i could care less....WTF? How daam hard is it to take 1/1000 of a second to CAPITALIZE?

Orient your own dommed pictures correctly....and take a few seconds to capitalize and punctuate. ....we're not your "bros" here you're just texting.....

I feel better now...did I miss anything? (Besides hairbrained ideas?)

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Wow...what kind of phone? I just touch the top of my screen and drag down...and it pulls up a multiple options....one of which is screen rotation....one click...

Still....it's like ....i could care less....WTF? How daam hard is it to take 1/1000 of a second to CAPITALIZE?

Orient your own dommed pictures correctly....and take a few seconds to capitalize and punctuate. ....we're not your "bros" here you're just texting.....

I feel better now...did I miss anything? (Besides hairbrained ideas?)

I have the same one click feature. That's too many clicks. iPhone.:roflol:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sure Doug repost all the pics for next years Calendar!!!!
What is this a sneak peak?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
i don't seem to have any issues with pictures yet. i use my dropbox account to push phone pics to cloud and it syncs to pc instantly. So while phone is pushing up pc is pulling down at same time. couldn't be simpler. Or even plug usb cable into pc and just drag and drop over. I also have a wifi transfer app. but it seems slow to setup, connect, request files, etc...

...i do have problem using default browser from phone to push files to forum...Maybe ill try chrome on the phone next time and see what happens. for some reason i click select file nothing happens.

..but yah what poboy said just take photos in landscape mode and be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.