Steering thought for karts with suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
So this idea just poped into my head. Really don't want to buy a R&P, and wanted something cheap/easy. I have the a-arms off a quad, tie rods and everything. Its all set up for the geometry for a quad though, and since I'm going to be widening the front end in the middle that set up will no longer work.

Figured I could keep the tie rods, of course, that way I can have easy up and down motion, and they're already set up to have the proper distance between the a-arms so no guessing there. I could then weld a bar coming off the mid section support and then bolt a plate on top of that, 1 bolt in the middle of the plate to make a pivot point. 1 side of that plate the tie rod will hook into, and the other side will have another thin long plate bolted to it, and the other end of that will be bolted to the steering shaft.

I know may be a bit hard to visualize so I drew a (crude) pic lol.

The thinking here is that the a-arm side, with the tie rods will still be able to have full pivot up and down, and the other side will stay in line.

Anyone think it could work relatively well?

Attachments

• 20150615_022834.jpg
    20150615_022834.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 15
  • 20150615_024130.jpg
    20150615_024130.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150615_024137.jpg
    20150615_024137.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10

tazmannusa

Reaction score
Yes it is very doable without RP . Hard to tell in drawing and a lot depends on how much travel it has but your pivot bar may need to be mounted vertical to get enough angle on the rod end . I will be doing similar on mine but the pivot bar will pivot from one end and be quite long to minimize the up and down of the tie rod when turning

Status
Not open for further replies.