Steering Rack Size and Front End Geometry

jbloms32769

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Hey all! New here, first post.

I'm mid-build on a Spidercarts Grandaddy (2-seater) + Predator 212cc. I'm getting the front end suspension/steering put together and have a question on front end geometry which is all totally new to me (this is my first build, ever. Started this as a learn-to-weld project for the kiddo and I).

The plans call for a double A-arm front suspension and for an 8" steering rack. Me being in a rush, ordered an 11" rack from BMI Karts. I've only recently learned of issues with bump steering, which I'm worried I may be setting myself up for here. It's a new concept to me, but I recall reading that the A-arm pivots should be aligned as closely as possible with the steering rack pivots. As shown in the picture, the steering rack eyelet sits about 1.5" wider than the A-arm pivot (currently shown with lower A-arm only). Is this going to be a problem or will it be fine?

I'm on a major time crunch to get this finished before an upcoming trip out west that I want my boy to have a kart of his own to ride. I'm not shooting for max performance here, just a ride-able and safe setup for my 9yr old that we can fine-tune later. So, I'm looking for the quickest/easiest solution if this is going to be a problem. i.e. I'd rather order a smaller size rack & pinion and work on other parts until that arrives than have to go through the re-work of grinding off the front end to re-design the A-arm pivots to be wider to match the larger rack I currently have.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!
- J
 

Attachments

  • front sus.PNG
    front sus.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,094
Reaction score
4,531
Location
Southern New Mexico
You won't have much bump steer with a double a arm set up.
The single arm is where you have the issue.
You want your R&P to be as centered as you can with the steering arms on the knuckle.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,919
Reaction score
3,958
Don't have anything to add to what WTR has posted above about the steering. But wanted to welcome you to the forum, and comment that what you are doing is exactly what this group is all about. Building and teaching the young ones how to make mechanical stuff. More power to you sir. Keep us abreast of your progress.
 

jbloms32769

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Don't have anything to add to what WTR has posted above about the steering. But wanted to welcome you to the forum, and comment that what you are doing is exactly what this group is all about. Building and teaching the young ones how to make mechanical stuff. More power to you sir. Keep us abreast of your progress.
Thank you! I'm stoked to learn a lot from the rest of the folks on here and pass along any knowledge I've picked up along the way.
 

rpcraighead

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I know this is late, but just read this as I'm doing a Granddaddy build myself. I'm earlier in the process, but did the same thing. DesertKarts is oob (Anyone know how to get the plans?), so I got the rack you did. I'm just initially widening the front 'Box' to match. Seems pretty simple... We'll see how it goes!
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,214
Reaction score
4,193

Bonefish Freeman

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I know this is late, but just read this as I'm doing a Granddaddy build myself. I'm earlier in the process, but did the same thing. DesertKarts is oob (Anyone know how to get the plans?), so I got the rack you did. I'm just initially widening the front 'Box' to match. Seems pretty simple... We'll see how it goes!
how did the widening go?
 
Top