Steering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi, this is my first post about my first go kart project.
The project was going fine and still is, and it looks quite good, but there is a problem with the steering. Whenever I turn the wheels (to both the right and the left), whichever wheel would be on the outside of the turn is at a much sharper angle than the inside wheel. This makes turning sharply basically impossible as one of the wheels will sort of skid along while the other rolls. I followed the diygokart directions for steering pretty closely and I can't see anything visibly wrong. Adjusting the tie rods does not seem to fix this problem either. Please post a reply if anyone knows how I might fix the steering. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

toofarnorth

New member
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Location
Wasilla, Alaska
If you get a pitman arm with two holes (I'm not sure about the spacing I think about 1 1/2" apart) instead of one to attach your tie rods to, it will make the inside tire turn sharper then the outside one.
 

toofarnorth

New member
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Location
Wasilla, Alaska
You could probably modify your current pitman arm by adding a piece to the end of it with the two holes, making it T shaped. Though most are triangle shaped for more strength.
 

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. Should one hole be on top of the other, and do you know if it matters which tie rod is on the top hole and which is on the bottom?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Kind of sounds like an Ackermann setup gone horrobly wrong... Are your steering arms perpendicular to the spindle, or angled? Can we get a pic?
 

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
The steering arms are angled to the spindle. I don't have any pictures currently but I can probably get some if it is really necessary.
 

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
It looks pretty much like this websites picture of the steering. Also, toofarnorth, are you sure making two tie rod holes would work, because I found another thread where a person had the same problem I do and the had two separate holes, and some people told him to the same hole for both tie rods.
 

solomon

Active member
Messages
1,648
Reaction score
8
Location
ca
my manco kart has always been like that, one wheel turn more than the other, it doesnt really bother me lol
 

toofarnorth

New member
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Location
Wasilla, Alaska
I'm not sure of any thing lol, but it makes sense to me. It wouldn't take much to give it a try just take a piece of flat steel drill three evenly spaced holes in it bolt it tightly through the middle hole to your current tie rod hole and attach the tie rods to the other holes if it works, weld it so it won't spin on the middle bolt. If it makes things worse then try putting the left tie rod to the right hole and the right in the left, you'll have to put one on top and one underneath to do that.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Pics would help. Another thing that can be done is to drill another hole in one arm, and connect that with a rod to the steering column. Then run a rod straight from one steering arm straight to the other. This is not always an option based on angles and clearances, and certainly won't work with an independant front suspension but if you can pull it off, it certainly guarantees both arms pivot the same distance.
 

YellowJacket

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
It should look like this.....

Just a flat piece of metal off the steering stem...with two holes , one drilled on each side!
 

Attachments

  • 0822090005a.jpg
    0822090005a.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Thanks, I'll try the two holes idea and if it doesn't work I'll try toystory's idea, which seems pretty foolproof. As soon as I can I will also post some pictures, and if that gives anyone any ideas that would be great.
 

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Neither idea worked. I think it might be the angle of the steering arm and the axle bolt on each spindle. On this site it said to make the angle 105 degrees and I did, but I think maybe it has to be a 90 degree angle or smaller.
 

Bomberss27

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I've attached some pictures. I've modified it in about every way I can think of and each time the outside wheel turns farther than the inside wheel. I'm thinking about changing the angle between the steering arm and the axle. If anyone wants to see more specific pictures of things let me know. Thanks in advance for any comments.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 22

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Messages
1,609
Reaction score
2
Location
Sydney, Australia
You've got reverse ackermann angle there. That's why the outside wheel turns sharper.

To fix it you will need to either change it to rear steer, where the steering arm on the spindle is facing backwards instead of forwards. You'd also need to put the pitman arm facing downwards on the steering column.
OR
You could cut and re-weld the steering arms on the front, but at a more outwards angle. Ideally there would be < 90 degrees between the axle and the steering arm with a front steer application. If you can set it to 90 degrees it should be OK as too, certainly better than it is at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top