Starting a suspension Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking of using something like this. it's 6-7" long and would work with a 3/4" shaft. is it too long? It would look something like this.

Attachments

• top.JPG
    top.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 29

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i made it only 4-5 inches long and it sems too long.
opinions please

Attachments

• iso with flange.JPG
    iso with flange.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 48

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
so that project is kinda going on hold. I'll still do CAD, but no actual building

heres what i got now. for free

IDK what's the hp, but I do know its a briggs. most likely ohv. How do I find out what the hp is?

whats the weird thing on the carb? is it the choke?

also why is there a lever to adjust the tension of a spring on the governor?

The keyslot on the shaft is damaged. so is the starting mechanism

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
update.
I've taken the piston out, cleaned the carb, only thing stopping me, Is I can't take the flywheel off.
I want to take it apart and wash it, cause there is alot of rust inside :confused:

yes it is OHV, and I cleaned the vales a bit (honed?)

awesoem thing is that the carb has a spining effect inside, like chevy's vortec.

Last edited:

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
how do i get the flywheel and the broken thing on the shaft off?
heat them up and then knock them off?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
first, take off the recoil starter clutch!!! Stick something in those blades and use a pipe wrench or something to get that last piece off that's in front of the flywheel. Then, use a gear puller, or sometimes you can coax it off with a sharp tap.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
That might be a 3 horse because of that recoil set up. At least all the briggs 5 horses i own have the recoil mech in the housing you took off. I used a screw driver and put it on those nubs and used a hammer to get it off. see pic. The to take flywheel off you take off all seperate items then i use heavy duty screwdriver and pry the flywheel off against the block be sure not to pry agaisnt anything that would be ruined, then i lightly tap the shaft with a hammer (if it were a 5 horse with a nut i could make nut flush with whe shft to be sure and not wreck the threads). Usually it will pop right off after a few hits.

Last edited:

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
well, it turns out that brocken thing just unscrews off. and the flywheel comes off easy.

we have good compression, a killer spark, and the timing looks right, but can't get it to start. (we wrap a strap around the flywheel.)
we use starting fuel, so the carb is out of teh question.

we think someone messed up the timings. (cams)

Status
Not open for further replies.