Starting a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vw_buggsy

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am starting a go kart project for my daughter, who is 7 so I think it's about time. I bought a fiberglass body and a tube frame for this project years ago with the intention to build it out once I thought she was old enough to really use it. I think she's old enough now to have to coordination and bravery needed to tear around in it.

I'm a shade-tree who usually works on old Volkswagens, beetles dunebuggies and buses. I (and my wife) have several. So I know how to wrench and how to weld but I've never built a go kart before. In fact I've never even owned one, so I'm sure I'll have several questions!

I found this site after watching a great YouTube video but "T-Mans Go Karts" that described the differences between dead axles, live axles, and differentials on go karts which mentioned this site. That was helpful.

The project is a fiberglass kart body that I bought at a VW show that looks like an old Meyers Manx Buggy. I also bought a tube frame for it at the same time. I procured a Manco (freebie from a buddy) two-seater go kart frame too in order to rob it for parts. Pics will follow once I figure out how!

I had thought maybe I'd just mount the body onto the Manco but then figured out that the Manco has only one wheel drive. This will be driven mostly off-road so I'm thinking live axle is the way to go, though I'm worried about her being able to steer if the steering is tight, but I reckon she'll figure it out or grow into it.

I'm hoping to have the project done by Christmas, so I think I'll actually enter the 2018 build competition. I might as well.

All the best to you and yours,
Buggsy

I am attempting to upload pics of my project...

Attachments

• Starting_Point.jpg
    Starting_Point.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 6
  • Manco_Donor.jpg
    Manco_Donor.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Tube_Frame.jpg
    Tube_Frame.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Body.jpg
    Body.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 3

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the Asylum!

The Manco isn't that great of a donor vehicle.. (not much left to use)
but it appears it still has the original split rims on it.
which are in fact rare and thought after.
especially the driven rear is not easy to come by.

So, first remember this, since it IS IMPORTANT!
Whenever you remove a tyre.. make 100% sure you have the air out
before you attempt to split the wheel halves, otherwise they WILL CRACK!

Since they're rather small (for a build like yours) and quite rare.
And the rears are for a dead axle anyways...
I'd say, remove the tyres, clean them up a bit and sell them on ebay!
You should be able to generate enough money for a nice set of wheels that match your built better and maybe a bit extra for this'n'that ;)

(Personally I'd go for steel golf cart rims with moon caps.. but that's personal taste, not a sincere recommendation ;))

But I'm glad you are sharing this with us

'sid

vw_buggsy

Reaction score
Thanks!

Your thoughts are similar to my own on all counts!

One of the Manco rims is broken already, but the other three might be okay. The driven wheel looks like someone got very creative with making it work at some point in the past, not sure how buggered up it is.

mrbeggs432

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am starting a go kart project for my daughter, who is 7 so I think it's about time. I bought a fiberglass body and a tube frame for this project years ago with the intention to build it out once I thought she was old enough to really use it. I think she's old enough now to have to coordination and bravery needed to tear around in it.

I'm a shade-tree who usually works on old Volkswagens, beetles dunebuggies and buses. I (and my wife) have several. So I know how to wrench and how to weld but I've never built a go kart before. In fact I've never even owned one, so I'm sure I'll have several questions!

I found this site after watching a great YouTube video but "T-Mans Go Karts" that described the differences between dead axles, live axles, and differentials on go karts which mentioned this site. That was helpful.

The project is a fiberglass kart body that I bought at a VW show that looks like an old Meyers Manx Buggy. I also bought a tube frame for it at the same time. I procured a Manco (freebie from a buddy) two-seater go kart frame too in order to rob it for parts. Pics will follow once I figure out how!

I had thought maybe I'd just mount the body onto the Manco but then figured out that the Manco has only one wheel drive. This will be driven mostly off-road so I'm thinking live axle is the way to go, though I'm worried about her being able to steer if the steering is tight, but I reckon she'll figure it out or grow into it.

I'm hoping to have the project done by Christmas, so I think I'll actually enter the 2018 build competition. I might as well.

All the best to you and yours,
Buggsy

I am attempting to upload pics of my project...

Nice....I never saw a mini manx body before....very
cool....Good luck with your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.