Starting a new project, 10 hp Honda Trike project....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been here, thought I'd share this project with you guys. Got this rear axle from my future son-in-law, not sure if it was from a 4 wheeler or 3 wheeler, but the price was right, here's how I got the kart wheels onto the 4 wheeler axle. I took the 4 wheeler hubs, (which were X shaped and had like a 4" bolt pattern) to a machine shop I deal with, along with a pair of brand new kart hubs, and he cut the O.D. to pretty close to the I.D. of the kart hubs, and broached a keyway into them, then bored the kart hubs to match them. I would have never started this project if I had to use the big tall knobby tires. Without the ridiculously Indy wide look, it just wouldn't be the same.
The motor was on my race kart when I first started on it, (this motor pushed the kart about 70 with a centrifugal clutch, now it's got a TAV too, and the kart has had an RM250 dirt bike motor for a few years) , most of the rest will be custom fabbed.

They had some kind of cobbled up caliper bracket on there that didn't fit, held the caliper where only half the pad was gripping the rotor. This might not be the original caliper either, but with my new custom fabricated bracket, it fits like a glove.

Gotta fabricate some kind of wheelie bar setup too, with the 10+ hp and the TAV, it should yank the front tire easily...

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
Definitely sticking with this front wheel, not sure about the forks, they are sprung, but they are pretty rusty, I may either try to fab some new ones, do some sort of a springer setup, or swipe some small dirt bike forks...

This is the steering tube, has two high speed bearings in it, with a solid spacer so when I tighten down the pivot bolt, it doesn't side load the bearings.

Now I'm doing some frame mockup, trying to decide just how to lay it out. I had spent a couple hours trying to modify my Harbor Freight bender to do 1.25" mild steel tubing, when I got it just right and made one good bend, the cast iron shoe cracked, :mad2: , so I said "the **** with it", drew up a diagram, took it to TRZ Motorsports, and had them bend it up out of chrome moly, :cornut::thumbsup:
The single upright in the pic is actually a crossmember for the bottom of the frame, the u-shaped piece is gonna be the rear frame brace, but it will probably go through the "backbone" when I'm done, and the shock/spring will connect to the end of the backbone.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
Sitting on the kart stand waiting for some attention. Finally got my small block Chevy Vega Drag car pretty much done, (they are never REALLY done...), wound up going twin turbo with it, best run so far is 9.66@140 mph, but it's got more in it. After the trike project, it's gonna be time to get the Hydrostream going again (Speedboat), then I got some more plans for the kart, :rolleyes: :auto:

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
WOW, I'm bleary eyed from scouring ebay ads and karting sites looking for a decent looking fuel tank that doesn't cost $100~$150~$200, :ack2::mad2:
I started out looking for one like the plastic tank that comes on the Manco minibike I traded for a few weeks ago, I'd love to find one the size and shape of the fake Baja Warrior 200 tank. Closest I've come to one that's affordable is the tiny little tank that comes in the engine kits for bicycles. I'd like for it to hold at least a gallon, or a couple or 3 litres of fuel. Worse comes to worse, I can fabricate one from some exhaust or drive shaft tubing, just gotta find a good type of cap for it. :rolleyes:

This is the Manco tank:

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
After finishing the trans swap in my truck, I spent some more time on the trike project.
Working on the frame now...

I hope to get some more time in on it later this week, be nice to have it a rolling chassis... :thumbsup:

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
This is a cool a$$ build.
Now that ML said that I am curious too. I tought of adding suspension to my trike build so I will be watching this one.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
I didn't think about that till the motor was bolted on, and a I saw the line from the TC to the rear sprocket. In my head, it all worked fine, but once it materialized, it was a different story, :huh: :rolleyes:
I'm thinkin I'll probably need an idler, (maybe two, with one being spring loaded), to get the chain routed cleanly and keep it from flopping, :idea2: :thumbsup:

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
I didn't think about that till the motor was bolted on, and a I saw the line from the TC to the rear sprocket. In my head, it all worked fine, but once it materialized, it was a different story, :huh: :rolleyes:
I'm thinkin I'll probably need an idler, (maybe two, with one being spring loaded), to get the chain routed cleanly and keep it from flopping, :idea2: :thumbsup:

That seems logical. That is all I could come up with too.
Not much more of a choice when you don't mount engine to the swing arm.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
Got my idler sprocket and made the tensioner...

Got some new rear tires coming, gonna blow it all apart for paint pretty soon....

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
Got it apart and painted the frame, my fiancee still hasn't picked a color for the tank and engine cover yet. I've not been too impressed with this motor yet, I know it used to push my kart about 60+, but probably no more than about 30 on the trike, but not with much takeoff power either. Starts with one pull, but never could turn the choke "on" and start it, turns out the choke's been on the whole time, and it wouldn't run with it off. Guess 3~4 years of sitting on the shelf takes it's toll. Pulled the pilot jet and cleaned it/opened it up a little with a tiny drill bit, (.028"), and opened the main jet a few thou as well, runs like a scalded dog now, probably 50+, and with plenty of takeoff power, gotta get on it with a GPS and test the top speed. More pics and some video SOON.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
Since it's purpose is to be a pit bike, (actually used in the pits at the drag strip), I'm thinking about adding a "basket" up front, (ahead of the motor), to be able to carry some stuff, haven't decided for sure yet though....

Status
Not open for further replies.