Starting a build ...

chaznaster

Reaction score
Hi All. Thanks for having me on this site. My teenage son and I are collecting parts to start our first Kart build - based on the Spider Arachnid plans. We recently built an electric scooter (modified from a non-powered one) and figure this is a good next step. He also wants something to race his older brother in (we are rebuilding an old car together).
I think it's really important for kids to have "hands on" experience and learn critical thinking and patience. I did a car when I was a kid and it still stands as one of my best learning experiences. I'm looking forward to connecting with the Forum.

redflash

Reaction score
I built an arachnid off the plans...not too hard, just need to be able to weld. about $1,300 total with HF 212 and comet TC. Took my time and it took about 11 months or so. Pictures are on file here

Da flash

chaznaster

Reaction score
I built an arachnid off the plans...not too hard, just need to be able to weld. about $1,300 total with HF 212 and comet TC. Took my time and it took about 11 months or so. Pictures are on file here

Da flash
Hey. Thanks! I was looking for your build photos but have not quite got the hang of the search function on this site. Question: what did you use for the steering bits that are listed on the Spider parts list as Desert Design. Looking through some posts and using the Google machine it sounds like Desert Karts is no more. Is there a good replacement? One that does not require modifying the plans?

redflash

Reaction score
I don't think that company is still in business.....I went to "NEXGEN" off road parts and they had a small 11 inch rack and pinion for sand drags and dune buggies.....I believe it was under $90.00.....and pretty much the moct expensive part I bought for the arachnid

Da Flash