Starter Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard III

Reaction score
Ok so today my gokart tecuseh Power Sport 5 HP engine woudl not start and i ddi all the basic checks and everything seemed to be fine. So i was at the store with my ad and we picked up some Prestone Premium Starter Fluid and I spraed in a burst for 1 sec and then pulled the starter cord and it ran fine once it was warm and started right up with 2 pulls. then it cooled off for a few hours and I tried starting it agian andit would not start and so i spray another burst of Fluid in and it started right up. I belive that th engine dosnt like to start when its extremaly cold (40 degrees out - most engines Eventualy will start with enough pulls) So i just thoguth id let people know that Starter Fluid Works exctremly well.

Ricky

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i LOVE starting fluid. we use if for EVERYTHING. stuff is kinda expensive though

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
1- most starting fluid bottles say not to use on diesel engines
2- havent used it on any engines w/ reeds

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
A badly worn engine will exhibit a hard start problem.
Just for the heck of it, when engine is cold, put a tablespoon of oil in plug hole. Replace plug and try to start engine without starting fluid.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
A badly worn engine will exhibit a hard start problem.
Just for the heck of it, when engine is cold, put a tablespoon of oil in plug hole. Replace plug and try to start engine without starting fluid.

I seriously LOLed , is this badly worn? So worn out it dribbles oil from the PCV and sprays from the spark plug, goes through 20-50 faster than vista eats ram. Starts on 3rd hit everytime without help :confused:

1970 briggs 8hp hor shaft.

Last edited:

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Older Tecumsehs are notorious for going through rings faster than what some would call 'normal'. Especially true if a multigrade oil is used.
Any engine needs a minimum serviceable compression to operate.
Everything may appear to be operating normally, but still refuses to fire. Hence the starting fluid.
The reason for oil in plug hole is to temporarily restore compression to its normal serviceable range.
I had a '59 6 cylinder Ford that behaved this same way.

Gungatim

Reaction score
which carb do you have? does it have a primer bulb? you can download the tecumseh service manual for free and there is a pretty good section on how their carbs work in there. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.