Starter Battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
My 250cc engine needs a 12v 7ah battery, most run this style battery with the larger square style terminals.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/12-volt-7-ah-battery-Petrol-Dirt-bikes-scooter-quads-/230574839694?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35af54d78e

I have a battery with smaller terminals and the cost is alot lower, Is there any difference apart from the terminals. Both are rated at 12v 7ah but there is a big difference in price. Would they both be able to put out the same current/amp at the same hour rating?

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=5375488&cm_sp=Merchandising-_-Featured-Product-_-5375488

Thanks
Kieran

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
i would just use the one you already have, because you already have it :p. the difference is probably that one drains faster easier, as it is designed for a starter, like a car battery is designed for a quick draw.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
i would just use the one you already have, because you already have it :p. the difference is probably that one drains faster easier, as it is designed for a starter, like a car battery is designed for a quick draw.

Yea thats what I was thinking but since they are both rated at the same ah, but different terminals it got me wondering.

Thanks

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I would think that an Amp-Hour rating is an Amp-Hour rating...
The difference may lie in its ability to tolerate a consistent quick discharge.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Is it possible that the 2 batteries are just designed to be used on 2 different machines? For instance, boat batteries have threaded terminals and car batteries have smooth terminals that require a clamp-type cable end.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Thanks Lads.

Yea I was thinking them to be the same aswell, just that the larger terminals are used on quads, and are the norm so to speak. I will try the smaller one anyone, nothing to lose out on.

Thanks

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Thanks Lads.

Yea I was thinking them to be the same aswell, just that the larger terminals are used on quads, and are the norm so to speak. I will try the smaller one anyone, nothing to lose out on.

Thanks

The one with the smaller terminals wont flow as many amps, should still be fine though, it's not like these starters pull a ton of amps anyway. You can easily change it if it doesn't.

Thanks

Hayden

Lynx_Genisys

Reaction score
i would go with the one from ebay...
for one, its so cheap its retarded..
(I would actualy go with somethign bigger and better altogether to be honest)

the second one looks like its outta a power wheels or something, but is good for deep discharge, so it'll recover better if you end up completely draining it..

I wonder what the CCA are on each of em..

alot of things to consider if you wanna get all technical etc..

and if i recall correct, it will supply 7amps for one haour before being discharged?? not sure, cant 100% member how that works again..

at any rate, its for a go-kart.. hehe.. just get the biggest cheapest battery that fits where you wana stuff it and be good to go!

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
i would go with the one from ebay...
for one, its so cheap its retarded..
(I would actualy go with somethign bigger and better altogether to be honest)

the second one looks like its outta a power wheels or something, but is good for deep discharge, so it'll recover better if you end up completely draining it..

I wonder what the CCA are on each of em..

alot of things to consider if you wanna get all technical etc..

and if i recall correct, it will supply 7amps for one haour before being discharged?? not sure, cant 100% member how that works again..

at any rate, its for a go-kart.. hehe.. just get the biggest cheapest battery that fits where you wana stuff it and be good to go!

The engine is rated to run a 12v, so maby going bigger is not the best option. Yea the ah stands for amps per hour, but from what has been said, they just serve different purposes.

Thanks

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
AH ratings work like this-

Using the above 7AH battery as an example- Assuming the battery is in good condition, within its temperature range, etc- The battery will maintain a 7 amp load for approximately 60 minutes before dropping below an acceptable voltage. From this, you may extrapolate your own math. If, say, you have a pair of 100 watt offroad lights that you wish to run on this battery, here's what you have. I=P/V where I=current measured in amps, P=power, measured in watts, and V=voltage. So, I=200/12, which equals 16.66 Amps. Now, you work that into the battery, which is 7AH. 7/16=0.43, so you can expect those lights to run for 0.43 hours, or about 26 minutes.

This info won't be much use to you using an AH rated battery for starting, but it may prove useful for other light/accessories.

robbie

Reaction score
That's exactly how an amp-hour rating works, and the only time it comes into play is when you are running accessories without the engine running to recharge the battery.

The info that tells you whether it will start your engine is the amp rating, also known as CCA, or cold cranking amps, but they don't supply that information. The only thing I would be concerned about is how big of a wire you can connect to the battery with blade terminals. I'm guessing that it won't be a problem. I have a Briggs 11.5 hp engine on my lawnmower, with a 14 gauge wire supplying cranking power to the starter. If that's good enough on my lawnmower, I'm guessing that a blade terminal will be good enough for whatever amps you need to run to your starter. Other than the terminals, these batteries look nearly identical. Just make sure your engine is in good enough shape to start up without cranking for ten minutes.

Lynx_Genisys

Reaction score
yes! great info!

I knew it was somethign lke that.. lol

and just for the record, most vehicles etc are "12volt" systems.. however, they typicaly run at around 14volts... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.