Started my Low Budget Dirt Bike Powered Go Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Jersey shore, pa. It's in-between Lock Haven and Williamsport. That is actually where I was born & raised. I moved to Texas when I was 20.

lobbyrobert

Basic bicycle repair know
Reaction score
your done a nice job, keep it up buddy, really nice, i like your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentrek

Reaction score
Well, Today did not go as planned. I did manage to get the cross brace welded in and the front motor mount support plate welded on but I could not get the welds on the front motor mounts to take. I tried it twice, I thought I had it the second time as the weld bead was nice and they seemed solid, until I smacked them with my 3 pound dead blow and they snapped right off, the weld did not even penetrate the bottom plate. Not sure whats up with that.. welder was on max and cranked all the way up.

j.concepcion54321

Rebuilding KTM, Need Kart
Reaction score
try grinding off the metal to keep the area nice and clean. Ive been told to turn down the wire speed to get better penetration on my welds. Hope that helps

Sentrek

Reaction score
try grinding off the metal to keep the area nice and clean. Ive been told to turn down the wire speed to get better penetration on my welds. Hope that helps
I had it clean, I need to pick up some good wire and try turning the speed down. I need to pick up a welding helmet though, spent to much time welding with just goggles, that all I'm saying. I may just weld up a u-bracket and thru bolt it to the plate, it will probably make motor installation and removale easier and allow more flexibility later down the road anyhow.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Well, I had a coupon for one of those auto darkening helmets from HF for $40 so I picked one up today and got my motor mounts made. Man did that thing make welding easier. Anyway, here it is. The motor is mounted and no more boards holding it up.

Sentrek

Reaction score
It is a manual, I will be using a shift lever with the clutch on it. I will be mounting it on the right side and creating a shift mechanism of some kind, that is yet to be determined.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
could you extend the shift lever and make it like a hand shifter then hook the clutch cable to a metal peice behind the steering wheel that you can pull the engage it?

Status
Not open for further replies.