Sprocket Alignment

cretella8348

Reaction score
Bought a gokart for the girls and the chain keeps coming off. I realized the sprocket and CVT fear were unaligned quite a bit. Is this the issue or is it something else. Also, the engine can not be moved and the wheel sprocket and break disk are one piece. How can I get these aligned?

Attachments

• F4EC0495-46E6-42E7-AE50-A452A254EC24.jpg
    F4EC0495-46E6-42E7-AE50-A452A254EC24.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 14
  • 3EC101D6-7E5E-4ABD-8D91-A498AEC327DD.jpg
    3EC101D6-7E5E-4ABD-8D91-A498AEC327DD.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 9

mckutzy

Reaction score
One or the other has to be moved...
Offhand...
The axle, if any room to move might be a bit easier... but then the brake caliper bracket needs to be moved to accommodate.

Moving the motor needs to have the holes elongated to accommodate a lateral movement, equally speaking the jackshaft also applies to this aswell..

One last thing... Depending on the amount of offset of alignment.. might be able to get away with a stack of washers and a longer strong bolt, to act as a standoff for the sprocket from the hub.

anickode

Reaction score
Bother option would be to put a spacer between the bearing and sprocket on the jackshaft, then space the primary clutch out the same amount to keep it aligned with the secondary.

I like the washers on the axle sprocket idea though. Just get some longer grade 8 (or 10.9 if metric) bolts to secure it.

BigWes

Reaction score
I thought I told you how to fix this on the FB board? Did these guys say much different? Of course none of them mentioned an adjustable engine plate or anything like that. And I won't get into the type a and type b t/c sprockets here because that requires lots of work as well and you may need more clearance than you have wiggle room. I personally have a welder and a plasma cutter so I know what I would do...I would just slice some new slots and slide the entire setup to one side and weld over the others as needed and be done with it. Problem solved. Or I could just make some custom offset studs. Just need nuts on each side, welded to a 1/4 plate. But hey that would be too simple. Kinda like little cam adjustable studs under the engine. Anyway, good luck!

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Considering there's a visible amount of thread on the outside of the jackshaft I personally would start by going to Home Depot to grab a few 5/8" shim washers and start stacking them behind the sprocket, see how far that gets me. I bet a few more threads could be gained from the other side of the jackshaft also.

BigWes: not everyone has the tools and skills you do...
but good idea on a different type of sprocket that offsets it, I bet that and my suggestion together will have the problem licked!

You've gone off on a tangent that's borderline offensive to not only the OP but also to the members here, take a breath and relax or maybe :sifone:

BigWes

Reaction score
Deleted my post... don't adjust the driven

You have to move the driver out the same amount to maintain the belt alignment. And the driver side is always short on room as it is.

That's why no one else said to do it that way including myself. I mentioned offset sprockets but also was concerned about wiggle room.

Brianator ain't as smart as he thinks he is.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Bother option would be to put a spacer between the bearing and sprocket on the jackshaft, then space the primary clutch out the same amount to keep it aligned with the secondary.

I like the washers on the axle sprocket idea though. Just get some longer grade 8 (or 10.9 if metric) bolts to secure it.

BigWes: do you take salt with your crow?

This forum is a community of people trying to help others in a friendly manner and what makes THIS forum great!

I don't appreciate the rude comment and I'm sure others don't either...

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Briantor said:

This forum is a community of people trying to help others in a friendly manner and what makes THIS forum great!

I agree. If someone wants people to know they are not as smart as they seem they will tell. I think he is a lot smarter than me.:feedtroll:

BigWes

Reaction score

You are now mincing words and trolling again.

You've trolled other comments I've made on other posts as well. Actually the OP and I have dialog on another forum which you know nothing about.

Trolling is a reportable offense. Are you sure you want to keep this up? Proper thread engagement of any nut requires a minimum of 1 1/2 threads exposed past the nut. Not enough room to shim all that out on the driven. Not from this angle anyway.

The guy already said what he wanted to do yet you keep flapping your yap with your crow remark yet you wanna talk insults?

That's the second time you used that remark as well. Actually that is you engaged in harassing me. Trolling and harassing. Keep it up dude.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Let us not destroy this guys thread any further please, I've asked permission to start a "off topic" thread to try and clear this up. It all started because I felt you came at the guy a little harsh and you took my comment towards that to heart and I'm willing to admit my mistake but 1 thing is for certain : pointing out you must have not fully read all posts is NOT trolling or harassing (both threads). Let's let the moderators decide if we can carry this on as I will not tolerate any further PMs from you.

BigWes

Reaction score
Here you go again ordering me around like you own the place. I suppose you order mods around too? Just like I said in my PM. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. You don't run this forum.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

You been a forum member what, 4 months? Maybe 5? So now you gonna take up running the place and telling everyone what they can and can't do? How old are you? 11? 12?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

For the record, myself and others had the very same discussion with this guy somewhere else on another forum and came to the same conclusion hours before he came here. I was the one that suggested he put spacers between the disc and sprocket on the other forum. I told him to pay attention to the position of the key in the keyway and make sure it was secure. I told him his best option was to move the engine over. But he could get by with spacers on the axle if it was just going to be ridden easy as a yard kart. You don't know cause you weren't there. I said in the post above we already had been speaking on another forum but you refuse to listen. It was an inside thing between the OP and myself. If was more of a laughing thing than anything...but no, you gotta follow me around and be a smarta$$ and try and troll stuff you don't know anything about. So instead of flapping off at the mouth and telling other people what to do all the time either get your crap straight or stay out of stuff you don't know anything about. There are people here on this forum that I know from other places and we screw around with each other all the time. Stay out of it.

anickode

Reaction score
Here you go again ordering me around like you own the place. I suppose you order mods around too? Just like I said in my PM. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. You don't run this forum.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

You been a forum member what, 4 months? Maybe 5? So now you gonna take up running the place and telling everyone what they can and can't do? How old are you? 11? 12?

Says the guy who's been her a whole year, picks fights with everyone who disagrees with him, and resorts to insults whenever there's a squabble.

See, you and the OP having a conversation outside of this forum means nothing to us. As far as we're concerned it never happened.

The OP came here and asked a question. Forum members offered multiple solutions. You swooped in and told us that you already told him how to fix it, as though that's final and your word is gospel.

As far as most of us are concerned, you are the one who escalates everything into an argument, and who cannot accept a differing opinion without taking it as a personal insult and a contradiction to the gospel of BigWes.

And do not (again) invite me to fight via PM. I'm not interested.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
No Wes I'm asking if we can drop this for now (or ever?) What you said came off as harsh to me, I was just standing up for the guy and trying to be joking/friendly about it. Yes I made a smartya$$y remark (crow) but that's all part of my charm which, like inside jokes can be hard to "see".

I'd like it if we could let bygones be bygones

BigWes

Reaction score
Says the guy who's been her a whole year, picks fights with everyone who disagrees with him, and resorts to insults whenever there's a squabble.

See, you and the OP having a conversation outside of this forum means nothing to us. As far as we're concerned it never happened.

The OP came here and asked a question. Forum members offered multiple solutions. You swooped in and told us that you already told him how to fix it, as though that's final and your word is gospel.

As far as most of us are concerned, you are the one who escalates everything into an argument, and who cannot accept a differing opinion without taking it as a personal insult and a contradiction to the gospel of BigWes.

And do not (again) invite me to fight via PM. I'm not interested.

So, I only ever sent you one PM. It was NOT an invitation to a fight or an argument or anything else. I was joking about a comment you made on someone's thread. So your comment above sir is simply not true. Might wanna get your facts squared away. I never deleted any of my PMs. You may have me confused with someone else. Any time I argue with someone it is fairly straightforward. Many times I agree with you. This time I do not.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

No Wes I'm asking if we can drop this for now (or ever?) What you said came off as harsh to me, I was just standing up for the guy and trying to be joking/friendly about it. Yes I made a smartya$$y remark (crow) but that's all part of my charm which, like inside jokes can be hard to "see".

I'd like it if we could let bygones be bygones

Ok, I can do that. Peace then...one condition though...post a pic of your kart or ride or whatever. I wanna see it. All of mine are raggedy junk. I just make sure they run good. I like seeing other folks rides. In another thread...

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Thank you and thats a deal! I'll just send you links to my introduction thread showing my Champion 6.5hp/TAV2 powered Suzuki quad I built : http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?p=542806#post542806

I've been considering making a build thread on it, I put alot of time and ingenuity into it and it does better in the trails then I was expecting! There's still a couple kinks to work out but it runs/drives/stops pretty well and I have alot of cosmetic finishing touches to complete so the thread would be a catch up plus ongoing work.

and one to my build off thread : http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43423

I don't have a kart yet (slowly building it!) but almost bought a single seater Manco for $250 yesterday (I think it was a Dingo?) but with too much on the go as it is I thought the better of it... it was a tough decision as it was the best kart and deal I've seen so far. Life goes on right!? Lol.

BigWes

Reaction score
Thank you and thats a deal! I'll just send you links to my introduction thread showing my Champion 6.5hp/TAV2 powered Suzuki quad I built : http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?p=542806#post542806

I've been considering making a build thread on it, I put alot of time and ingenuity into it and it does better in the trails then I was expecting! There's still a couple kinks to work out but it runs/drives/stops pretty well and I have alot of cosmetic finishing touches to complete so the thread would be a catch up plus ongoing work.

and one to my build off thread : http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43423

I don't have a kart yet (slowly building it!) but almost bought a single seater Manco for $250 yesterday (I think it was a Dingo?) but with too much on the go as it is I thought the better of it... it was a tough decision as it was the best kart and deal I've seen so far. Life goes on right!? Lol.

Truth...I've had to pass on some things I wish I could have gotten as well. Compromise sucks at times. Good luck with your build. And don't forget your quad! It looked good in the snow. It was so hot here today.