spindle question, home made go kart on the cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk95ht

Reaction score
im in the process of making a 49cc powered go kart, i have purchased my bolts for the spindle set up, but they didnt have any tubing thick enough to use as recommended.....
my question is, am i able to braze some square tubing onto the round tubing, and than weld the other stuff onto the square tubing, itll mean a larger contact area..... btw the only round bar they had was 1mm thick.
feel free to comment, josh

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Reaction score
I weld my spindle bolts onto angle iron, and then weld the spindle bushing to the angle iron. You could use square tubing, but it would complicate the weld.

Here's a picture:

jk95ht

Reaction score
I weld my spindle bolts onto angle iron, and then weld the spindle bushing to the angle iron. You could use square tubing, but it would complicate the weld.

Here's a picture:

thanks man, im thinkn about using some automotive body filler (bog), since itd be the easiest way to attach the square tubing to the circular considering the round bar is only 1mm thick.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
thanks man, im thinkn about using some automotive body filler (bog), since itd be the easiest way to attach the square tubing to the circular considering the round bar is only 1mm thick.

Ya what? Bog to attach steel to steel? That is a big no, no. In my book anyway! That really is just asking for trouble.

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Reaction score
You may just want to consider looking for some stronger metal. That will end up making this whole process simpler.

Also, I agree with Rusty; NEVER use body filler for anything structural.

Status
Not open for further replies.