Spider 150cc muffler glowing red!!! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Hi... everyone...I'm new to this and wondering if you could help me... I recently bought a Spider 150cc. Not working... (As a project to work with my 13yrs old son). We have change the; carburator, spark plug,CDI, ignition coil. But it only turn on with starting fluid... And when it does the engine only rev very high that the muffler was blowing red!!! And when i adjust the trotle it just die... Also it won't move forward or in reverse... Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_172127822.jpg
    IMG_20200127_172127822.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200130_172348092.jpg
    IMG_20200130_172348092.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200130_172242343.jpg
    IMG_20200130_172242343.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200130_172127858.jpg
    IMG_20200130_172127858.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 11

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
In the 3rd pic, your Throttle appears it is not closed all the way. You may need to adjust the Throttle Cable.

If it only starts with Starting Fluid, your Electric Choke may not be working, or your Carb may need to be cleaned. Even though it may be new, it can get clogged easy.

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Sounds like its free revving do youu know how to adjust the throttle screw?

I don't know how to adjust it..

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

If i close the throttle a little bit more.. the go kart dies....i will have to open it and clean to see if that changes... What about not going in to gear?? Any clue?

karl

Reaction score
I don't know how to adjust it..

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

If i close the throttle a little bit more.. the go kart dies....i will have to open it and clean to see if that changes... What about not going in to gear?? Any clue?

Apply the scientific method , test one variable at a time

Make observations, hypothesize , then experiment to test the hypothesis

Once the carb is clean (if that is the issue) , and all set right, motor running as intended, try to shift it.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
you sure it's a Kandi Spider? (150cc)
since AFAIK that kart was originally made by DongFang and they sold it under many brands.
they themselves had a DF200GKD for example (170cc IIRC) also a gy6 but bigger..
a 150cc carb then is too lean for the engine to idle properly.

So best thing to do, get the old carb out, remove and clean the main jet thoroghly.
put it in the new carb and see if you can dial in the engine to a clean and steady run.

if it still doesn't rev but to the moon;
you might want to do a compression test first.
then dial in fuel ratio via consecutive spark plug readings.
And when you finally managed to get a steady and controllable engine.

it'd be time to move on to the transmission case.
pop it open and check the belt for wear, if it's not running in forward nor reverse,
chances are the belt is gone.
clean both pulleys, make sure the variator's rollers are still round and clean
install a fresh (or good -if yours is still in good condition-) belt and then you
should be back in business, if not then there's only the rear F'n'R gearbox
(in both the DF200 and KD150 it's directly flanged to the gy6 output shaft)
and final chain drive to check. (simple gears or sprockets and chain)

your engine is running, so I have hopes it's just a minor issue of carb adjustment for that most important bit of the task ;)

'sid

Karttekk

Reaction score
Your throttle cable is way too tight. Loosen the top 12mm nut on the bracket where the cable is fastened to the carb until the throttle rests against the carb stop on its own. Tighten the bottom nut once the tension is off of the cable. There has to be a slight bit of slack in the throttle cable at idle.

As far as the kart not moving, the high idle may have kept the forward and reverse lever from freely moving in the gearbox. If still no movement at the proper idle, look on the side of the gearbox where the reverse and drive cables fasten. There should be a pivot bracket where both cables connect. See if that pivot bracket is cracked and slipping on the gearbox output shaft. If it isn't cracked, follow the adjustment steps provided.

https://www.gopowersports.com/cable-equalizer/

As far as it not running without starting fluid, watch the video on how to connect vacuum lines. You should have a vacuum operated fuel valve that only opens when the engine is running. Make sure your vacuum lines are installed properly. One vacuum line goes to the carb intake which then goes to a T where two other vacuum lines connect, one to the bottom of the fuel petcock and the other to a carb hose going over to the side of the carb. Fuel line runs from the top petcock port to the bottom of the carb itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k5yTn46_M

Attachments

• Kandi.jpg
    Kandi.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Kandi_2.jpg
    Kandi_2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 6

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Now i have it running smoothly... The problem was the pilot jet.. was dirty... I clean it and 1 issue resolved.. now... When i try to go forward or reverse. The go kart turn off... And the gear handle get stuck... I have to push it or pull it hard to get back to neutral.... What should it be the next step???

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO,
disconnect the connection of the shifter on the gearbox
and make sure the shifting linkage works smoothly.
(no resistance in the shift stick to the gearbox)
If that's not the case, fix the kink in the linkage/shifting cable and fix that first.
then it'd be a good time to check if you can set/reset the gearbox by hand.
there will always be spring tension to overcome, but the shifting itself should be smoothly (although not effortlessly because of said spring)

if the lever itself runs smoothly and the shifting cable or linkage didn't get stuck on the way to the gearbox,
or if there is a sincere "wrong" resistance shifting the gearbox directly,
the problem will likely be the gearbox itself,
see if you can see anything being cracked or bent or otherwise out of the ordinary..
and if not it'd be time to crack it open I'm afraid.
(I think yours is integrated into engine case'S PTO section..
a few bolts to remove and the gearbox should seperate.

check that all gears and bearings are in good condition and well aligned,
regrease/oil and put it back together .
reconnect the shifting linkage and you should be good.
be carefull though, the roller bearings inside are of slightly different sizes
so take carefull notes which one is which if you remove them from their seats.
(at least three different sizes 6202, 6203 and 6204 IIRC)

if you have and external F'n'R gearbox there are two common options,
a small round can style and a slightly larger oval'ish McNugget shape ;)

We'd need to know which one you got in order to help you with it.
but the idea is always the same, open it up, find what's causing the issue, repair/replace and put everything back together nicely ;)

'sid

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
I will do that tomorrow after work... Hopefully it's something not to bad 😬. And i will post back... With results.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Have you checked the shifter equalizer at the gearbox? The plate with the cables attached to it? Followed the adjustment instructions exactly? Put the rear of the kart on jackstands, hop in the kart, start it with your foot on the brake, shift to R or D then let off the brake and give it some gas. Have someone check to see if the back wheels turn in the direction the shifter is in. The idle has to be at a normal RPM for the gears to shift and mesh properly. Have you loosened the throttle cable as suggested?

I think once the idle is normal you should be okay.

Attachments

• adjustment.jpg
    adjustment.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Ok... What i did today... Was.. remove the exhaust... Remove the cover where the clutch and variator are.. and i found that something inside the clutch is broken... And the "rollers" in the variator have a flat side i will attach some pictures... Let me know what do i need to buy or how can i make it work... Any sponsors here?? 😅😅😅
•MERGED•

these are the pictures of what i found.... the inside of the clutch broken.. all the "rollers " have a flat surface is that normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_174729609.jpg
    IMG_20200206_174729609.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200206_172855207.jpg
    IMG_20200206_172855207.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200206_172830210.jpg
    IMG_20200206_172830210.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200206_172712250.jpg
    IMG_20200206_172712250.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200206_171239162.jpg
    IMG_20200206_171239162.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

Karttekk

Reaction score
What shaft is pictured last? The one with the stripped teeth and cotter pin hole. The rollers are definitely shot. Are there any ridges on the variator inner sheaves? I would get new rollers and a replacement clutch assembly. Wouldn't hurt to clean out that belt residue on the trans itself and the inside of the cover with Brakleen. Clean out the variator where the rollers move too. Need to know what shaft that is.

https://www.bmikarts.com/Rear-Clutch-Assembly-for-150cc-GY6-Engine_p_3736.html

6 of these: https://www.bmikarts.com/Roller-Comp-Weight-13g_p_314.html

Karttekk

Reaction score
Driver's rear? That isn't good, the splines drive the hub that I guess you removed? Looks like you'll need an axle and probably a hub.

https://hammerheadperformance.com/r...nd-brakes/oem-suspension/rear-wheel-hub-black

And one of these axles:

https://hammerheadperformance.com/r...ension/axle-for-150cc-with-f-n-r-8-010-057b-n

https://hammerheadperformance.com/replacement-parts/suspension-and-brakes/oem-suspension/rear-axle

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

A lot to learn but worth the aggravation. Hopefully you won't get too buried in cost for it.

This procedure should be similar to yours.

Attachments

• Axle How To.jpg
    Axle How To.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
oh shoot..

yeah, the rollers need to be replaced,
and you not only need a new clutch (while you can likely repair it, you'd need to remove all rust as well.. it might be easier to just buy a new one)
you also need a new shaft...

unfortunately, you weren't too precise which one it is..
could you zoom out a bit for us to see

since "left" is a matter of perspective ;)
and pic #4 shows the driver side of your engine (usually refered to as "left")
and those shafts look to be okay on pic#4... soooo *shrugs*

'sid

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
No i didn't remove anything.. i bought it like this.. that side is the one without the chain.. the other one is in "good condition" i can see all the little lines on the axle ans on the wheel the same... I noticed that the bad one don't even have anything on the wheel

Karttekk

Reaction score
You're gonna need an axle and a wheel hub with studs for that side.

Another thing to check before you reassemble the CVT is the intake port on the CVT cover, the one that faces the driver's seat. There could be a filter in there that clogs and doesn't allow the drive system to cool. That's the reason for the fins on the variator fan, it pulls air in from the front of the cover and exhausts it out the rear of the cover.

Attachments

• cover filter.jpg
    cover filter.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Thanks i will take a look after work... What type of filter will be looking for?��

Mayito88

Mayito88
Reaction score
Is this one? The air filter for the clutch??

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_162818110.jpg
    IMG_20200207_162818110.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.